Pop - ups on newsgroups

I've had a couple recently. The last 2 were spamming Skype products. I'm on W Live Mail as Reader and NIN as Server.

Looks like the last spam-free zone has been compromised :-( Anyone else getting this problem?

Reply to
Bertie Doe

It's your reader, 100%. Use a newsreader, not a flashy mail client which serves you ads, and your "problem" will not exist.

Reply to
Adrian

That!

S-- hadwell hated all southerners and, by inference, was standing at the North Pole. (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)

09:45:01 up 1 day, 14:31, 6 users, load average: 0.20, 0.28, 0.39
Reply to
The Nomad

Thanks Adrian, that's what I needed to know.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

Bertie Doe wrote

No, and I use WLM and NIN too.

You sure your system isnt infected ?

Reply to
jack

What problem?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Sounds like plowperson

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I got a spam Whatsapp message on my phone yesterday. W.T.F.

Reply to
fred

I would be inclined to install a run a copy of:

to clean the machine of any unwanted ad software.

Reply to
John Rumm

I did a M Security Essentials full scan, with nothing found.

MyTurbo PC found 82 Junk files and 32 Privacy Items but no Malware. MTPC has fixed these, so maybe the unwanted ad software has been purged.

If these pop-ups appear again, I'll install mwbytes. Thanks.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

You'll probably find "MyTurbo PC" IS Malware.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Malwarebytes tends to get rid of stuff that is ignored by many of the normal virus scanners, so worth doing anyway IMHO.

Reply to
John Rumm

Agreed.

Reply to