dividing wall

In conversion work, what is now regarded as the norm for a dividing wall? Obviously one wants to insulate and reduce noise as much as possible, but without losing too much space. Also one might want to hang cupboards or whatever on it. What would a BCO expect? Not that I intend doing any of the work, but I might be called upon to scrutinise builders' quotes. TIA

Reply to
stuart noble

Between what? Properties, or rooms in a property?

Reply to
Tim Watts

between properties i.e. converting one large first floor flat into two. Big Victorian house. It was originally two flats back in the 60s, so it's something of a re-conversion

Reply to
stuart noble

You will need soundproofing, which in our case involved specail metal springs to hold the double layer of plasterboard on and testing of the barrier by an independant expert.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Indeed.

Assuming within a property, a stud wall with wooden framing and plasterboard is probably the cheapest. For sound insulation, fill the space between the boards with rockwool. If you know where the cupboards are going to go. make sure that you install noggins in the appropriate places so that there is something solid to screw into. The overall thickness could be as little as 3", but 4" is more likely - with 3 x 2 timbers and 1/2" board either side.

A block wall would be easier to attach things to in random positions but would be thicker by the time it was plastered - and a *lot* messier to construct.

Reply to
Roger Mills

In that case, you need to check the building regulations. I have a holiday property which is a flat in a large house, and my lounge is separated from next door with a just a stud partition - but that was done in the 1950's, and things are likely different now.

Reply to
Roger Mills

That's my council too. Many years ago I converted to a through lounge myself. The local BS (or whatever in those days) was most helpful and did several site visits to check on progress and give advice. I'd had the loads etc calculated by a structural engineer. I was very grateful for the help as I was a novice at that sort of thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)