Polycell Smoothover

This might have been discussed a million times over in this NG but has anyone got a verdict on smoothover and potential uses? I have read on various DIY review sights that stated it was really poor and gave a rubbish finish.

I have started using it in my house. I found the 'damaged walls' variety is very good for covering flaky paint and cracks. After I steamed some wallpaper from a room in my house the paint was flaking off all over the place. With a bit of perperation I found the result after, using smoothover, to be really good and after sanding/painting you would never know the damage was there.

I see they do a variety for going over textured wall paper. I have a hallway covered in the horrible stuff and was wondering if this would be suitable to go over this wall paper. Anyone had a go with it?

Any views or opinions?

Reply to
mojo

Hang on, you "plastered" over flakey paint? How does that work? Doesn't the paint just flake taking the "plaster" with it?

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D.Smith

Not at all. I scraped off the paint which was loose sanded and then used this stuff to cover the exisiting paint and the area where the paint had come off. Once sanded and painted it looks perfect. You really can't tell the difference unless you look really close and you can see the paint over the polyfill areas are ever so slightly smoother than the paint on the exisiting wall. Only time will tell if the finish lasts or not......

Reply to
mojo

I should add that this stuff strikes me as more or an adhesive type product rather than normal plaster as you need to wait till it completely dries before you sand or do anything with it or the finish gets ruined. Again any mistakes you make have to be fixed after the stuff dries.......unlike with plaster where you can wet and polish/smooth etc.......

Reply to
mojo