Polishing up varnished kitchen units

In MIL's kitchen, there are varnished wooden units. About 20 years old.

The varnish could do with some livening up, generally. Also, around the sink, there have been some water splashes that have left lighter patches.

The plan is to do the best I can in say an hour, ie I am not going to try stripping it or anything like that. I was thinking of just going over it with wax.

Could the clever people here guide me what type of wax is best for this? Or should I use something different?

Also, should I go for clear wax, or wax about the same colour as what's there, or go for something a bit darker to cover up the water damage?

For polishing it, can I just stick a duster over an orbital sander?

Reply to
GB

I used 'Orange Oil Woodpolish' from Lakeland on our pine kichen cabinets (30 years old) worked wonders.

Reply to
charles

That was my first thought.

But she is probably old so why not make a coffin out of the old kitchen units?

Reply to
ARW

I think that planning of such events for a MiL should begin straight away.

Reply to
ARW

applying a wax, possibly coloured, with 0000 wire wool then buffing with a soft cloth should work.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Before meeting the girl, in fact.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It may be surprising how much difference a good clean makes.

Also if you're feeling extravagant, paint the ceiling, and buy her a brighter LED lightbulb. Borrow one from the stairs if you're not worried about her falling down and having to move in with you to be looked after.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You have to have a look before buying.

Reply to
ARW

You read the specs and the reviews of the previous model in the range before going for a test drive of the new model.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Lots of blokes still keep their old Fiestas in the garage.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

If you are doing a job then do it properly.

Reply to
ARW

Must take the old Viva out for a run (I own 50% of it)

Reply to
ARW

works surprisingly well. Wipe on, wait, wipe off; no polishing. Deals with the water splashes, dings, spots, etc., and it doesn't break anything, i.e. take off sound varnish.

If you don't count the waiting, you'll be easily done in an hour. All the furniture fakers --er, antique dealers-- at the markets here use it, and usually have a bottles for sale. A 500ml bottle is a lot...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Thank you, Thomas and Charles, for your helpful comments.

I should have left out that it's MIL's kitchen, shouldn't I. That would have shortened the thread.

Reply to
GB

Cheer up you miserable old sod:-)

Reply to
ARW

New hips are not as cheap as a Mini rear subframe.

And probably harder to fit but who cares - I'll give it a go.

Reply to
ARW

You should have asked about shortening her life span for a longer thread.

Reply to
ARW

She died 5 years ago, actually. It's still known as MIL's kitchen. :)

Reply to
GB

Point noted. But a MiL is still a MiL, and MiL jokes are always worth it.

Reply to
ARW

The cobwebs gathering on her last batch of rock buns ...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog