Polishing concrete

I would like to polish the concrete screed in my bathroom, after ripping up the tacky old PVC tiles. In fact, I would like to install a walk-in shower. I have looked in vain for anything on the internet regarding polishing concrete floors but have not managed to turn anything useful up. It seems to be difficult to just find a hire shop that has the equipment necessary tio do the job. Has anybody had any experience of concrete polishing?
Maris
Maris wrote:

Polishing concrete will cost more than having it tiled, by a professional, using top quality tiles, or carpetted with top of the range carpet.

Yes, but you wouldn't put carpet in a bathroom, let alone a shower.....
--

.andy

Q&A at http://www.encoreproducts.co.uk/advice.shtml#q16 includes Q Can I polish concrete to make a work top? A Yes, it polishes up well, but unlike granite you do not need a full sequence of pads.
I'm sure the company will advise and their site lists planty of polishing pads but what you drive them with I couldn't see
Peter K
PeterK wrote:

It's fine to polish a slab of concrete which can be manhandled. Try polishing it once it's already laid! - how do you get into the corners?

The clever dick reply is with their "For polishing in a tight corner"pads but with a 90mm diameter that still leaves a significant triangle so I presume by hand with their rectangular hand pads Peter K
Andy Hall wrote:

I have a shag pile in my bathroom - quite cosy 'twixt the toes, and a 'walk in shower' doesn't neccesarily mean an open plan one - I've recently seen a few that are just two parallel tiled walls where the 'door' would normally be.

Yuk. A breeding ground for all kinds of flora and fauna.

Yes of course, that's one way that they should be.
However, carpets have no place in a bathroom.
--

.andy

In your opinion.
--
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those
who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this
Huge wrote:

In your humble opinion

Nuffing humble about my opinions, mate. Get paid loads of money for those, I do. :o)
(OK, not about carpets in bathrooms...)
But slightly more seriously, I like carpet in bathrooms. But then, I'm the only male in the house, and I pee carefully.
--
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those
who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this

I like carpet in the bathroom too. It soaks up all the piss that misses the pan and avoids that annoying drumming noise that urine normally makes on linoleum.
Mind you, it's starting to get a bit sticky now. Are you supposed to wash it or something?
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

There is a certain technique involving directing the stream at a tangent to the curvature of the urinal. If you aim directly into the centre of a parabolic wee-wee reflector then you will experience a significant amount of urinary rebound that is directly proportional to the volume and pressure of the source.
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

pv = c
Or something.
:o)
--
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those
who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this
Clive Mitchell wrote:

Where is Mary when she is needed :-)
Dave

Do the women make you sit down though?
--

.andy

Before we had proper night lighting in the bathroom, I used to sit down.
--
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those
who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 17:19:06 +0000, Maris wrote:

===============================The technique is loosely described as 'terrazzo'. Look at this for starters:
http://www.nftmms.co.uk /
Cic.
--
Testing UBUNTU Linux

If youre going to go to the trouble of polishing it, I'd definitely lay a layer of terrazzo mix first, it will look fabulous versus very dull for plain screed. Having stayed in a terrazzo'd house I can assure you its a gorgeous flooring method.
In the early days of terrazzo the grinding/polishing was done with large abrasive stones on a broom handle, in progressively finer grades.
NT

Thanks for the response guys, much greater than I expected. I had heard that concrete polishing is an expensive process but I do like the finish when it is polished. The look I am going for is utilitarian/functional so that would be in keeping. Otoh, my son has a flat in Palma, Mallorca, which is terrazzod throughout. I like the idea of a continuous floor covering so may do some research into that. The alternative is to use the uneven natural floor tiles that I picked up off Freecycle! As for carpets - agreed, absoultely no place in a bathroom (unless you have little rugs around the loo and furry toilet seat covers!).
Maris