Polishing blemishes out of spectacle lenses

Plastic, as per my OP.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Sadly no. The prescription is different for my two eyes, and the other eye needs much more astigmatism correction which you won't find in off-the-shelf glasses.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yeah, YJD... :-)

That's *not* the bad news when using a high speed polisher on *plastic* lenses. The bad news is the localised surface melting from the use of such high speed polishing efforts. Even over-vigorous manual application of a polishing rag can melt the surface, completely defeating the whole polishing enterprise (i.e. damaging the surface beyond any such redemption).

Plastic surfaces can be polished successfully but it is fraught with this low temperature melting issue that simply doesn't exist with traditional materials such as glass and most metals in common use.

Whilst the polishing technique is basically the same for plastics and traditional materials, you have to keep the very low melting points of most plastics in mind and dial back the polishing effort somewhat compared to what you may be used to using with glass and metals.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

They go as high as +3.5 dioptres which should suit the OP although the quality can leave a little to be desired. I know because I was trying to find a cheap pair with a dioptre strength beyond this limit to let me get a real close up view of microscopic SMD components. Strangely, none of the usual places selling 'cheap reading glasses' had anything stronger. :- (

I also have a problem trying to find anything weaker than 'strength

+1.0' to give me something better optimised for use with my desktop computer monitor. I reckon, mild astigmatism allowing, that a dioptre strength of +0.5 to +0.75 would be about as good as it gets for me.

I'm mildly short sighted so have been taking advantage of this for close viewing simply by removing my distance vision spectacles but, at 69 yo, my residual power of accommodation no longer has enough reserve to both accommodate shorter viewing distances *and* apply a modicum of astigmatic correction.

The effort to focus on the screen varies throughout the day and, as it happens (mid afternoon), I'm having little difficulty right now in seeing my computer screen sufficiently well enough to distinguish between a colon and a semi-colon (viewing distance of 60 to 70 cms from a 23 inch

1920 by 1080 pixel monitor).

A suitable pair of cheap reading glasses would be very useful at times when my visual cortex (perhaps more accurately described as a virtual reality suite) is not at its peak performance during late evening and early morning times. A cheap pair of basic reading glasses of suitable power would off-load the focussing task to free up my accommodating power to concentrate on the task of astigmatic correction during such periods.

These days, the trick of removing my distance vision glasses to read the fine print that negates what the large print promises on the packaging of any merchandise I'm checking out when shopping, doesn't work quite as well as it used to do just a seemingly very few years ago. :-(

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I found jeweller's rouge very effective at taking the scuffs out of my favourite sunglasses where they had fallen out of their case and slid around in the glove-box.

Reply to
Rob Morley