Points to sell a house

Over the weekend the two Scottish guys who do the property TV shows had one show with the 20 best points to sell a house. They got it about right. They also have a show which says the 20 things you should not do to sell a house. They got that about right, except when they said don't install laminate floors, as I find they add value.
If anyone is selling a house get the DVDs of these TV shows, it will pay you back big time.
snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Erm! when a people buy a house they are buying the house and it sound structure not other peoples junk, decorating and painting are a personal touch and guaranteed the purchases will redecorate after house purchase.
Them nutters on tv are just boosting up sales for the DIY industry.
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Actually, I think you'd be surprised how many people buy a house they can "just move into an live in". A well presented home will sell more quickly and easily than something that looks like it needs a lot of work. We've always sold our houses at either the first or second viewing because, if I say so myself, they are not only cared for but look cared for.
While I agree that buying "because it looks nice" isn't wise, I suspect far more people do this than don't.
Brian
Brian Reay wrote:

I'm basing my evidence on what Mick&Pat said...they where saying go out and buy a few mod cons as will improve your chances of selling, I'm selling the house not its contents.
Granted a complete lick of paint and a scrub down will help sell the property and if the kitchen needs a refit or the bathroom looks drab. -- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

I renovate and sell houses. What they say is 90% bang on. Do what they say and you will get top price and sell quickly. They had a team of experienced people giving their opinions on the certain points.

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

No, you don't. You work behind the counter at a plumbcentre. We've already established this beyond any reasonable doubt.
--
Grunff

I think you have a very over-optimistic opinion of the cognitive skills of a large section of the population. Lots and lots of people cannot see further than skin deep and are completely oblivious as to what you should be looking for when buying a house/car/computer/other consumer durable.
You only have to watch one of those crappy shows where a presenter goes round and selects properties to show prospective clients to hear the suckers say such things as "oh I don't like these curtains" or "that paint isn't what I like" etc. Lots of people sadly really are that dim.
Henry
Henry wrote:

Thats what surveyors are for.
When I buy a property I don't give two hoots whether it has a nice carpet down or a loo that tickles your backside and cleans it, I'm looking for.. 'defects in the structure', 'why are you selling', ect.
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

I think you have a very over-optimistic opinion of the cognitive skills of surveyors ;-) only kidding.
Though actually I got hold of a copy of a surveyors report for a house we sold - he completely missed the major structural problems which had worried the crap out of us when we were selling and made a big fuss about things which of much less consequence. Never have really held much store in what they say from then. I suppose you can at least sue them if they foul up - does that actually happen much?
Henry
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

But that's you, an inhabitant of uk.d-i-y, a minority group of discerning individuals, etc., etc. Most of the remaining 99.9% of the population really are that dim.
MBQ

Agreed. They have sod all imagination......
--
Tony Sayer

I think also the editors contribute to this impression. They ask people to "go round and give your impressions of the house" and edit it to look like they asked "go round and say why you would / would not buy this house". But the dim people are there to our advantage, so let's keep them around ! Simon.
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

one of those real informative posts
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

    So that's the third dIMM Sock Puppet.
    Regards     Capitol

Are you saying Dim Lin, the Oriental enchantress, is a sock puppet? Are you saying Maxie puts his hand up the rear end of Oriental women? Disgusting! Maxie will be very angry when he reads that.
     snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com writes:

Well, that probably depends what the alternative is. A couple of friends in the trade tell me laminate floors are definately down in popularity compared with a few years ago, and also the lighter coloured real hardwood floors are now less popular. The darker coloured wood floors have not dropped off in popularity to the same extent, but weren't subject to the same fashion boom the lighter floors were a few years ago.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

According to The Times, carpets, in neutral colours but interesting textures, are now back in.
Owain

================I think it's quite a good idea to buy a house in a 'tatty' condition if you've got the time and inclination to do the necessary improvements yourself.
A house that hasn't been tarted up for sale usually means one less coat of paint to strip and less hard labour removing acres of wallpaper which has been 'neutralised' with gallons of emulsion paint.
Cic.
On 3 Oct 2005 09:51:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

You must have a very strange clientele.
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

We've discovered over the years that renting holiday cottages gives one an interesting insight into fashionable domestic interiors, without having to go to the pain of installing them, and then tearing them out again. For example;
- wooden floors. Cold, dusty, noisy and everything skids about all over the place. Horrible.
- wet rooms. Impractical, everything gets damp and you walk talcum all over the place and you have to keep drying your feet.
--
"Other people are not your property."