Pocket Door supplier recommends

OK,

Renovating a 1960's flat I want to combine the WC and Bathroom, by removing the adjoining wall. Pic here:

This is relatively simple because the wall is non-load bearing, curiously it has been built across the suspended (ground) floor. I assume this was common practice.

To maximise bathrooom space I think this is a perfect application for a pocket door (opening to the right). I know nothing about them though.

Question: Can anybody recommend the best brands/manufacturers of such doors. (also any to avoid!).

These guys

jump out from my searches. Are they any cop?

David

Reply to
Vortex12

No recommendation to a particular model, but you can buy the mechanisms from

As well as Eclisse they have a small range of Coburn, Hideaway and Klug

I don't think Ironmongery Direct would sell rubbish.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I've bought one but not fitted it yet, you do need to know the finished floor height before fitting it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is space really so much at a premium that you can't fit a regular door? I imagine it would be the first thing a new purchaser would rip out. I know I would.

You don't see a lot of them for a reason...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In a 6'x6' bathroom an inward opening door consumes getting on for a quarter of the floor area, getting rid of that gives some flexibility in fitting a larger 'P' shaped bath and changing the layout.

We're not talking about a wonky 1970's "barn style" sliding door

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is it that small? It looks bigger in the photo but you would know... ;-)

Personally I would plan on the basis of a conventional door (which could obviously be repositioned to the right or left) . A pocket door will steal some depth from one side of the room which might restrict bath choices surely?

That's exactly what I'm thinking of. All sliding doors look wrong in a normal house in my opinion. Just means that it wasn't designed right. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No, a pocket door retracts *inside* the wall ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Okay, hadn?t realised that they used a plasterboard covered metal frame for the pocket. Still looks like a shonky 70s sliding door to me though. ;-)

I suppose the most important thing is, has SWMBO (or HWMBO) been solicited for her/his views? Partners can have surprisingly strong opinions on these matters.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Are they any more noise-proof than ordinary sliding doors though? Because that is the big drawback to sliding toilet doors in my experience.

My mum had a sliding bathroom door fitted as (a) it was a very small bathroom (b) anyone being taken ill and collapsing behind the door blocked access for rescuers.

My own bathroom door I rehung to open outwards but it's in a dead-end corridor anyway so it does not block the passage.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Brush seal all around ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just make sure that it does a Star Trek door opening noise when you fit it..

Reply to
ARW

I have fitted kits that look very similar to those shown in your link There are a couple of things to look out for 44mm door may run very close to the metal frame so only use the short plasterboard screws supplied

A normal bathroom lock wont work so you need to consider your options there

You wont have the full frame width for access since the handles(usually recessed) need to be accessible when the door is open

you will need to cut a groove in the bottom of the door for the guide runner

er...thats it

Reply to
humphrey

I've never understood why it's OK to have a toilet in the bathroom. When it's the only toilet in the house/flat that seems even more reason to have them separate.

Reply to
Rob Morley

SWMBO actually suggested it. I was the sceptical one.

Reply to
Vortex12

I like the idea of a self closer, and also PIR activated light, plus extractor fan with overrun.

That combination should minimise the biohazard I associate with my son visiting.

Reply to
Vortex12

Problem is the WC is 72cm wide. No room for a basin (discounting ridiculous "nano basins" I have seen)

Reply to
Vortex12

I was thinking more of the Frank Spencer 'automated home' episode.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You also need to make room in the 6'x6' bathroom for the two stagehands to open it.

Reply to
alan_m

We installed an Eclisse pocket door for our downstairs wet room; partly to get the wider opening which is wheelchair friendly but mainly to be able to use as much space as possible.

It works fine (although the lock can be a bit sticky at times).

Do note that you don't get the same sound barrier as you do with a traditional door which closes against the frame. There is space all around the door and runners. So you sometimes are very aware when someone is emptying a full bladder. I assume some kind of brush seal might mitigate this.

Very pleased with it overall.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

In message , David writes

We have two non-pocket sliding doors. Both have brush seals, although neither need great soundproofing. The seal on the kitchen to scullery door bottom has fallen off. I will glue a new one on when my back lets me bend down again, but no-one has noticed much difference. Both doors have been fine for the last 25 years

Reply to
Bill