Magnetic CH cleaners

Well it sort of worked

And for anyone who cannot see it's a magnetic cleaner so full of the crud that it has collected that it has split open.

Reply to
ARW

I'm somewhat perplexed by that. The only one I have ever opened up has a magnetic stick enclosed in plastic, and the central heating water swirls round the outside of the magnet. Just like that one in the photo, except that the plastic protecting the magnet on mine had not split open.

Reply to
GB

Pin-prick hole in the plastic, letting water into the magnet which has rusted and expanded, splitting the rest of the plastic open?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Also perplexed. It suggests that whatever was attracted to the magnet has subsequently swelled. I can only think that initially it collected a lot of iron swarf, filings or whatever, that subsequently oxidised, with the resulting increase in volume.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

TBH I have not had a lot to do with them.

I was actually at the job sorting out the outside lights that were tripping and found this

in the garage and the plumber forwarded me the other photo.

I just thought it would make a change from Brexit posts.

Reply to
ARW

Which was my point. They are not really very good, and of course they rely on the crud being able to be electrostatically charged or magnetised to work. Stuff which has neigher quality will just go straight on. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No the ones that work best use electromagnets and high voltages. But as has been said before this is only part of the story. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The argument might run that magnetic and the like is the most damaging material?

Can't see the harm > Which was my point. They are not really very good, and of course they rely

Reply to
RJH

+1 I think nail, head, has been hit Andy
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Well I've got one of those. Its purpose is to collect any bits of iron or rust floating around the CH system (i.e., nothing to do with softening the water).

Reply to
Tim Streater

It still managed to collect a fair bit of s**te:-)

Reply to
ARW

All systems will become old and start shedding rust particles which could block the heat exchange, especially on a modern system.

Reply to
alan_m

They can catch a surprising amount of (magnetic) material which could otherwise start blocking narrow channels.

The advantage is that they can be easily serviced to remove the crud.

alan_m

They don't just collect magnetic crud, they are also vortex separators and will collect other crud if its heavy enough and the flow is slow enough.

Reply to
dennis

Surely only those which have iron in them.

Reply to
Chris Green

And what are your radiators made from?

Reply to
alan_m

alan_m wrote in news:fglsfsFb7iaU1 @mid.individual.net:

+1
Reply to
DerbyBorn

Depends, we had skirting board radiators that were just copper pipe and aluminium fins in one house I lived in.

Reply to
Chris Green

I fitted those in an extension I built in 1972.

Reply to
charles

The crud is iron oxide from radiators. It is magnetic. If you have an aluminium alloy boiler heat exchanger, it's vital to keep it out.

Reply to
harry