Plywood

I am building some external doors, and on a US forum was advised that in US they have a product that is Marine Ply with vertical grooves .... so looks as aesthetically pleasing as T&G ... but has dimensional stability of ply.

In US this is known as T-111 sheet. Or T-111 siding

Initially it had a rough-sawn, textured surface with vertical grooves milled every 4 or 8 inches. Thickness ranged from 3/8 inch to 3/4 inch. Usually fabricated from Douglas fir, but also in redwood.

Anybody know of an equivalent product in UK ?

Reply to
Osprey

Having looked for it in the past I do not believe there is any such thing readily available here in the UK.

[For those unfamiliar, if you Google "T111 siding" and select images you'll get the general idea.]

In the Colonies it typically comes in 8' x 4' sheets and is relatively inexpensive.

Just the job for an "instant shed". It's good stuff.

Vortex2

Siding is (or was) used for building masses of cheap shitty houses over there in a way it isn't over here. Now often PVC instead - lovely.

"Marine ply" made with Doug Fir - hmmm. Not going to get a Lloyds Certificate for that one.

Why not get some WBP ply (what they really mean) and run a router with a beading bit in it up it a few times?

Reply to
boltmail

I did think of buying some Birch Marine Ply and doing that .....

To make grooves visible would assume something like 3mm wide, using a standard 45 degree grooving router bit that would result in a groove

1.5mm deep .... Would this compromise the stability of the face ply, and cause premature failure ?

.... Marine Ply is expensive so would need to have a good idea of longevity before doing this. Anybody any idea ?

Reply to
Osprey

This link will give a list of suppliers of sheet material

The. Wanderer

It may be worth chatting to Robbins. In their catalgue they have something which may be similar (bottom right of page 1)

marpate1

An alternative option would be to mill in longitudinal grooves into Marine Ply sheet to simulate t&g ..... anybody done this ? ... is this practical without compromising the waterproof properties of the sheet. It would be stained finish.

Reply to
Osprey

AIUI the waterproof comes from the glue/adhesive that bonds the sheets together.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've done similar with a router, v groove bit & a straightedge, but only on smaller lengths e.g.2'. It looks pretty good as long as you keep the groove dead straight.

You will need to do a bit of sanding afterwards & depending on the ply you might reveal a different colour 'ply' at the base of the groove.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

was this paint finish or stain ? ........ just wondering doing this would make board fail early .... I would in effect be creating 'end grain' with these grooves ... and water on end grain often delaminates the ply. I only need to rout wide & deep enough to crate the effect of planks .. almost just a shadow line.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Finish was oil. The application was indoor only.

I guess you could rout down to a ply parrallel to the top ply. Decent exterioe woodstain should be OK I guess.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman