Leaky 'bleeding' valve from bathroom towel rail radiator

Mega problem - Radiator towel rail is probably 25 years old. It needed fairly frequent bleeding (about once a week). I guessed the screw valve was a bit dicky so I tried undoing it this afternoon. I expected to be able to take it out,clean it up and re-screw it in and everything would be fine. However, I find the valve only turns about

30 degs on and off and cannot be removed. Doing it up tightly, when I turn the boiler pump on again water squirted out of the little air hole on the screw. So, what do I do? I've just tried putting bathroom sealant over it and am waiting for it to set now. If it holds when I turn the pump back on I shall be relieved - if not?
Reply to
Pete L

If not, then turn the rad off at the valves, and remove the offending bleed screw if possible. Has it got a removable plug where the bleed screw goes in? If so, you can buy them new. If it is threaded straight into the steel/iron, then it is more difficult and will need to be re-threaded to accept a larger screw, or it may be scrap. If you need to bleed a rad every week, then you have got a leak somewhere in your system. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I don't think the valve can be removed. I've turned the system off now and we have no central heating. Doesn't feel too bad in the house - perhaps we have all got too soft now! Anyway, I can't think of any way to fix the problem - plumber is coming tomorrow.........!!!

Reply to
Pete L

Isn't there a valve either side of the radiator? If you turn both of those off, nothing will come out of the bleed-screw hole, and you'll be able to run the rest of the system with just that one radiator isolated.

Reply to
Roger Mills