Changing a radiator for a towel rail.

I am currently changing a radiator in my bathroom for a towel rail. I need to remove the old radiator. I tried to shut the radiator off from the inlet to seal it but it stays warm. I cannot turn it anymore clockwise. On the other side there is a end stop nut covering a screw slot . I've turned the screw fully clockwise. As I do this water pours out of the valve. Is this correct. I assumed closing inlet and outlet world in effect seal the radiator. Am I just unlucky?

Also I've heard about using bungs to seal the system. Do I put one in the outlet inside the expansion tank and the other in the overhanging expansion pipe? I dread the though on draining the system.

I'm sorry to ramble.

Reply to
Cliff

I fitted a towel rail in place of a rad in my bathroom recently. I think the most common approach is to replace the valves also, because you don't want skanky old white capped rad valves with your shiny new towel rail (I'm making the big assumption that you have a chrome rail and not a white one!). The usual approach here is to tie up the ball c*ck in the CH feeder tank (in the loft, usually), then partially drain the heating system- there should be a drain c*ck somewhere downstairs. Once your towel rail is plumbed in, untie the ball c*ck and bleed the air from the upstairs rads. Job done. Good excuse to add some fresh inhibitor to the system as well, so do that before you untie the ball c*ck.

Regards, Jim.

Reply to
Jim Walsh