Plumbling: Header tank supplying bath?

Hi All,

As a complete novice in heating a plumbing I'm looking for some advice;

we've got major problems at the moment (seemingly only worsened by a power flush) which I am trying figure out as I'm having no luck.

My first, and hopefully simply question, is: "Should the header tank be

supplying the cold water to the bath? ... or should it come straight from the mains supply as per the en-suite showers, taps, etc?"

My second is: "If you have an indirect cylinder with a bleed value and when bleeding - air constantly comes out (or nothing.. e.g. no pressure

and no water), does that indicate a problem with the cylinder?"

Any help/information would be very much appreciated..!

Thanks, CS.

Reply to
Cranialstrain

What is the "header tank"?

You've got a blockage.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I'm referring to the main tank in the loft that is filled with cold water direct from the supply which I assume is also used as a source for flushing loo's and things?

I'd suspected this might be the case :( I think it's a fully circulating system so as the radiators have been working fine (and water flowing round) does this indicate the blockage in immediately local to the cylinder or in the cylinder itself? Is there an easy way to check/clear it?

Thanks so much for your help!

CS.

Reply to
Cranialstrain

There's no "should" about it; it's perfectly normal for stored cold water in a tank to supply all cold water taps in the house except any used for drinking water (ie the kitchen sink for definite, and usually the bathroom basin too).

It's also perfectly normal for there to be no stored cold water at all, and for mains-pressure water to be supplying all taps in the house.

Don't worry about it.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I've just had to deal with a similar problem - see my posting 'Oddball DHW problem'.

I'm only just that bit more knowledgeable than you - firstly it is normal when there is a cold water tank in the attic for the bath to have it's cold feed from that; if nothing else it means that both taps are running at the same pressure.

The 'power flush' I know nothing of.

The bleed valve on the indirect cylinder puzzles me as the normal configuration is for a vent pipe to run straight up from the top of the tank - this pipe either goes through the roof and bends over or (inadvisably) feeds back over the cold water tank. I don't see why there is a bleed valve. If in fact this valve is on the heating coil from the central heating system that would make more sense and would suggest that motor valve to direct the hot water to the coil is not functioning.

My problem was reduced pressure in the hw flow and the advice I recieved was to back flush the hw system by attaching the mains through a hose to the hw tap somewhere (I had to take off a coupling and attach directly to the pipe as the taps were all mixer taps). I emptied the attic tank and ran all the hot water out of the hw tank into the attic tank which I then emptied again before re-filling. That cleared the problem.

Rob

Reply to
robkgraham

hi.. I want to talk with you. Excute me.. Please Reply me..

ksmin

Reply to
Bonous

Eh? Who, me?!