Plumbing help please

I am currently adding another 5 fish tanks to my filter system. I have borrowed a drill bit from a friend to drill the holes in the tanks, but it is only a 22mm bit, the other holes and fittings I have are 1.5"!! I went to a local DIY store yesterday and bought some toilet overflow connectors which

22mm rigid tubing fits in quite nicely. The problem lies in that I didn't realise the bore reduced to 20mm! I have tried the local plumbing stores and all say there is no such beast as a rigid 20mm pipe. Does anyone here know any different please?

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Marksfish

What are you drilling through ?

Reply to
BigWallop

Plastic conduit comes in 20mm.

Reply to
Niall

Glass, worked a treat!

Reply to
Marksfish

Would that be held in general stock or is it a special order thing? I only ask because the 3 i've been to don't stock it.

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Marksfish

In message , Marksfish writes

This is plastic conduit as used for running electrical cables - you need to go to an electrical wholesalers, or some sheds sell it.

whether the fittings are all water tight though.....

Reply to
chris French

Pretty well any electrical wholesaler worth the name should stock it, but it's usually called 'Egatube'

Think I've also seen it in a large B&Q.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Cheers Chris i'll have a look. It doesn't need to be water tight as the tubing will sit inside the tank. It is only to keep the water at a set height.

Mark

Reply to
Marksfish

You can solvent weld it with the normal PVC stuff. Don't know how it would stand up to hot water, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Just a thought, but since it isn't manufactured with that intent in mind, would it automatically be suitable for potable water and safe for fish though? Any chance of plasticisers or other chemicals/lubes etc that could leach out... Or is that just being silly?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

There is that potential yes, but it is a freshwater system so the chances are slim to middling. If I had a saltwater aquarium I wouldn't even consider it unless it was food grade plastic.

Mark

Reply to
Marksfish

MDPE underground water pipe comes in 20mm, ask at the builders merchant.

You might have to buy a 50 meter roll .........

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

All sorted now, tanks for all your helpful comments.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Marksfish