Plumbers Mate! Thanks folks on uk.d-i-y

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jon Fairbairn saying something like:

Sure it's not "Plumber's Moat"? An ex-plumber MP with a country house, perhaps.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It does mean that, but it means most of the other things that mate does too, and the OED reckons that spelling it that way went out of fashion in the 17th century.

[One of our engineering teachers explained why things should be made to accurate tolerances rather than just having, eg, holes drilled straight from one thing into the other by saying "You don't want a lot of mating parts going round the factory".]

Is it a very old pub?

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

yes, its called plumbers mait.

Personally I cant see much point in the stuff, silicone's better every time.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Dunno about bedding in wastes, etc, which is all I use it for. Silicone tends to stick to things you don't want it to - it's easier to remove any excess with Plumbers Mait.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)