Plumbers Mate! Thanks folks on uk.d-i-y

On my last visit to England I bought lots of plumbing associated stuff (not pipes or fittings as the sizes are different). As a beginner to plumbing I came back armed with lots of stuff. B&Q were selling tubs of "plumbers mate". I had absolutely no idea what it was used for but bought some anyway because I'd heard the stuff mentioned on this forum!
Anyway. Today came time to fit the new toilet. However, since taking out the old one the Mrs had laid tiles in the bathroom. This meant the toilet was now too high to fit the existing soil pipe. Plumbers mate to the rescue - I cut a bit off the new sleeve and pushed that in between the toilet and soil pipe and packed it out with plumbers mate. Job looks like a gud'un Thank you folks!
However, I've still not found a use for the basin wrench I bought. It looks useful for something though. I didn't seem to need it when installing the new wash basin yesterday.
--
David in Normandy.

David in Normandy wrote:

Plumbers Mait actually. I've always thought that an excellent play on words.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I don't get it. Why is using a pre 17C spelling so good? I'd always taken it as simply a matter of changing it so that it could be a trademark.
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)
Jon Fairbairn wrote:

As in helping two surfaces to 'mait' or join together, the play on words being 'mate' or assistant.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

That as far as I can find is a load of cobblers. No book or on line dictionary shows that. Are you pulling the proverbial or have some justification for MAIT.
Rob
Rob G wrote:

Now you mention it, I can't find anything online about it either. I've always 'known' the word mait to mean join together, couldn't tell you why. Must have imagined it.
There is/was a pub Croydon way called The Plumbers Mait, dunno where that came from.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

It does mean that, but it means most of the other things that mate does too, and the OED reckons that spelling it that way went out of fashion in the 17th century.
[One of our engineering teachers explained why things should be made to accurate tolerances rather than just having, eg, holes drilled straight from one thing into the other by saying "You don't want a lot of mating parts going round the factory".]

Is it a very old pub?
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)

You mean, the play on words is exactly the same as if it were spelled "Plumber's mate"?
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jon Fairbairn

Sure it's not "Plumber's Moat"? An ex-plumber MP with a country house, perhaps.
writes:

Maybe
http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/meaning_of_Mait.html
is more useful than
http://www.horror-playground.com/precert/covers/adventures-of-a-plumbers-mate.jpg
when a job needs doing.
Adam.
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Seems like good stuff anyway. Now if I could only find something to put between the bottom of a wash basin (on the ceramic) and the rubber seal thingy that is supposed to make a watertight seal. Damn thing drips slightly when the sink is emptying. Any suggestions?
--
David in Normandy.

Undo, apply silicone, re-do :-}
(need to do our kitchen sink)
Colin Wilson wrote:

I used a smear of silicone sealant when I did the job, but I think the joint got rotated very slightly while getting the sink / pipework into place - this may have broken the seal.
I'd have thought that some sort of water repelling / none setting grease would be better for this job than silicone sealant. It would be more forgiving of minor movements. Does such a thing exist?
The DIY stores here in France have lots of mysterious silicone based stuff in small tubes that are hideously expensive. Maybe one of them is what I'm suggesting? Trouble is, not only is the writing on them in French, its also too damn small to read anyway.
--
David in Normandy.

David in Normandy wrote:

You can certainly get silicone grease (kind of like vaseline, but doesn't attack natural rubber). It's quite expensive in the plumbing sheds, but you can get it cheap on eBay.
David in Normandy wrote:

yes, its called plumbers mait.
Personally I cant see much point in the stuff, silicone's better every time.
NT
In article

Dunno about bedding in wastes, etc, which is all I use it for. Silicone tends to stick to things you don't want it to - it's easier to remove any excess with Plumbers Mait.
--
*Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

David in Normandy wrote:

Did you not stock up on LS-X as well :-)
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
The Medway Handyman wrote:

What is LS-X? I've not heard of that one.
--
David in Normandy.

It's a silicone sealer specially designed for plumbing use. Expensive - but works very well where other sealers fail.
--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The answer to a maidens prayer....
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman