Plumbers Mate! Thanks folks on uk.d-i-y

On my last visit to England I bought lots of plumbing associated stuff (not pipes or fittings as the sizes are different). As a beginner to plumbing I came back armed with lots of stuff. B&Q were selling tubs of "plumbers mate". I had absolutely no idea what it was used for but bought some anyway because I'd heard the stuff mentioned on this forum!

Anyway. Today came time to fit the new toilet. However, since taking out the old one the Mrs had laid tiles in the bathroom. This meant the toilet was now too high to fit the existing soil pipe. Plumbers mate to the rescue - I cut a bit off the new sleeve and pushed that in between the toilet and soil pipe and packed it out with plumbers mate. Job looks like a gud'un Thank you folks!

However, I've still not found a use for the basin wrench I bought. It looks useful for something though. I didn't seem to need it when installing the new wash basin yesterday.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Plumbers Mait actually. I've always thought that an excellent play on words.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I don't get it. Why is using a pre 17C spelling so good? I'd always taken it as simply a matter of changing it so that it could be a trademark.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Seems like good stuff anyway. Now if I could only find something to put between the bottom of a wash basin (on the ceramic) and the rubber seal thingy that is supposed to make a watertight seal. Damn thing drips slightly when the sink is emptying. Any suggestions?

Reply to
David in Normandy

Undo, apply silicone, re-do :-}

(need to do our kitchen sink)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

As in helping two surfaces to 'mait' or join together, the play on words being 'mate' or assistant.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Did you not stock up on LS-X as well :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What is LS-X? I've not heard of that one.

Reply to
David in Normandy

I used a smear of silicone sealant when I did the job, but I think the joint got rotated very slightly while getting the sink / pipework into place - this may have broken the seal.

I'd have thought that some sort of water repelling / none setting grease would be better for this job than silicone sealant. It would be more forgiving of minor movements. Does such a thing exist?

The DIY stores here in France have lots of mysterious silicone based stuff in small tubes that are hideously expensive. Maybe one of them is what I'm suggesting? Trouble is, not only is the writing on them in French, its also too damn small to read anyway.

Reply to
David in Normandy

That as far as I can find is a load of cobblers. No book or on line dictionary shows that. Are you pulling the proverbial or have some justification for MAIT.

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

You normally put a bed of Plumbers Mait on the top of the basin before inserting the waste.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You mean, the play on words is exactly the same as if it were spelled "Plumber's mate"?

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

It's a silicone sealer specially designed for plumbing use. Expensive - but works very well where other sealers fail.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The answer to a maidens prayer....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It wouldn't perchance be more like a non-setting grease would it? Unlike the sanitary sealing silicone.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Maybe

more useful than

a job needs doing.

Adam.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The Medway Handyman

Thanks. I'll have a look for it in the DIY store. Sounds just like what I need.

Reply to
David in Normandy

You can certainly get silicone grease (kind of like vaseline, but doesn't attack natural rubber). It's quite expensive in the plumbing sheds, but you can get it cheap on eBay.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Now you mention it, I can't find anything online about it either. I've always 'known' the word mait to mean join together, couldn't tell you why. Must have imagined it.

There is/was a pub Croydon way called The Plumbers Mait, dunno where that came from.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman