plug removal causes trip of CB

hi there,

i have an old PC that after I use I have a habit of unplugging from the wall. The last few times though when i unplug the turned off PC a Circuit breaker is tripping. why could removal of a plug of a switched off device cause this?

Sam

Reply to
Sam

It might be the socket that the plug top is connected to, and not the plug on the flex' cable at all. Try plugging something else into the same socket on the wall and see what happens.

Reply to
BigWallop

If the neutral becomes disconnected first, the input filter on the PC could cause an increase in earth leakage which could trip an RCD

Reply to
Mike Harrison

We need to identify what type of breaker is going. Are there any markings on the unit that trips? In particular, any of the following (or similar such markings) would be very useful, if found:

MCB RCD RCBO RCCB B32A

0.03A 30mA B32/0.03A

etc.

Also, please state if this turns off the entire house, much of the house, or just the particular set of sockets used by the particular ring main.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle