Plug-in timers.

I bought 3 plug-in timers from Wickes.

"Must not be used for fan heaters" - that I can see the po "Should not be used for immersion heaters" - Why is this? I bought the things with a view to using one for an immersion heater! What problem might this cause? This is a big PITA.

These timers are also not suitable for washing machines - presumably because of the inductive load.

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt

Because the immersion is a fixed appliance and should not be on a plug. You can buy timer units for immersions but they are not of the plug in variety

I would not expect any problems running a washing machine from a 3KW timer. I am sure you could run an immersion from these timers without a problem , it just does not meet the required regs.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yonks ago I bought a timer for an immersion. You had to wire the immersion into the timer (like a CH timer), not plug it in.

I also ran some convector heaters from the equivalent plug-in model (so old now it isn't worth mentioning ther brands). There was a problem. Even though the heater load was within the timer's stated load, the live pin on the plug used to get very warm. Not enough to burn, but eventually th heat yellowed & distorted the plastic in both the plug and the timer.

Maybe it's something like that.

W.

Reply to
Woodspoiler