Plug in thermostat odd specs

http://petersphotos.com/temp/thermostat%201.jpg
http://petersphotos.com/temp/thermostat%202.jpg
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com
Lieutenant Scott wrote

That 400W is the indicator lamp, not the switched load.

That's a very inefficient indicator lamp. Which is doesn't have anyway.
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com
Lieutenant Scott wrote:

For someone who I think has claimed a good understanding of physics in the past, we do seem to get quite questions from you that just need a little thought on your part to resolve. Welcome to my killfile.
On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 22:12:14 -0000, Bob Minchin

400 watts of lighting in a 3kW thermostat is nonsensical. Why not just answer the question instead of being a childish twatt? And I never claimed to know EVERYTHING about physics, only Stephen Hawking does that.
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

He knows a lot of maths, I am not so sure of his Physics.

Why do you think my Maths is better than my Physics?
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Why do you think the comment was about you?

Because I'm the one with my degree being brought into question recently. And now you've snipped I can't check to see if someone made a mistake in who they were replying to.
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

the question instead of being a childish twatt? And I never claimed to know EVERYTHING about physics, only Stephen Hawking does that.

Heaters don't have a switch-on surge. Filament lamps have a large switch-on surge. Inductive loads can variously have switch-on and/or switch-off issues and/or low power factor issues, depending on the nature of them.
The rating plate looks perfectly reasonable to me for rating a set of contacts.
--
Andrew Gabriel

answer the question instead of being a childish twatt? And I never claimed to know EVERYTHING about physics, only Stephen Hawking does that.

I can believe the inductive load. I cannot believe the filament lamp one. And most things only quote resistive and inductive. Ever seen a light switch that switches less filament lamps than anything else?
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

I can. A quick check on the net shows that some 400W lamps can have a switch on surge of well over 13A
While superficially you wouldnt use a thermostat like that with a lamp of that power, there are heat lamps that someone might well use like that.

Sure, but most thermostat arent likely to be used with heat lamps.

No, but the contacts in those are significantly different to that on relays.
The tho contra is why isnt that 400W lamp entry in the switch load section ?
Presumably just a chinese fuckup.
Rod Speed wrote

A better way of saying it is that light switches can be assumed to be use for switching incandescent lights, but thermostats usuually dont.
It not actualy that uncommon to use light bulb for the lower heat requirements like when brewing beer tho normally only 100W is all thats needed.

Lieutenant Scott wrote

Yeah, thats one of the other common uses for incandescent bulbs, egg incubators, for lizards and snakes and other cold blooded animals too.

Yeah, there are 400W heat lamps.

You likely would have been able to use the 100W with better insulation.
Thats whats done with beer brewing, just put the barrel in a well insulated box, with poly foam insulation etc. Quite a few just use an old dead fridge that no longer works as a fridge.

What I find hard to believe is that an inductive load isn't worse.

So they aren't referring to incandescent light bulbs?

Considering they say not to use it over 35C, yet the setting goes to 49C, there's something not right about the design.
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Filament lamps arent inductive, just resistive, with a big change in the resistance as the filament warms up.

This one certainly is if this latest theory is correct.
Presumably the full description rather than the specs do say it can control heat lamps or incandescent bulbs.

Most likely the IC has that maximum set point and the particular device its used in cant handle anything over 35C
[Snip]

quite afew PIR units are down rated for particular type of lamp. In theatres, the dimmers often have "preheat" to prevent a heavy switch on surge. I've personally known an 8kW load wreck a 45A breaker when turned on full from cold.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Just reinforces what an arse you are. Even when presented with the correct answer, you still query it?? Go away and understand "Inrush current"
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 13:50:55 -0000, Bob Minchin

Which is for a bloody short period of time. Hardly going to melt the relay is it?
--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com
Lieutenant Scott wrote:

When it is done a number of times, the contact will erode, then they go higher resistance, then they get hotter and so on. It's only physics after all!