Playpit sand vs builders sand

Weddings are getting more like funerals, unavoidably expensive, and only slightly less depressing.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 10:22:24 GMT, Stuart Noble mused:

At least at a funeral you can just turn up, mooch around a bit, eat some finger food and then go home. Weddings are some long, drawn out, ridiculously expensive occaSion, and you have to do the stag do as WELL AND TRY and outdo eVERYONE ELSE at spending money.

Reply to
Lurch

The bride spends a year preparing for it, by which time she has flipped and become unfit for purpose, and the bridegroom is wondering whether one of the waitresses might be a better bet.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

No, the Brides expectations are like that, it's still possible to get married 'cheaply'...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Delightfully spoofed by Cameron Diaz in "Very Bad Things" circa 1998

, it's still possible to get

To a disappointed bride? She'll keep that as ammunition and fire it at you when you're feeling low.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Well obviously not if the bride wants to spend the first mortgage on the wedding, if so, the groom should be asking if the 'bride' is the correct one never mind if the venue is correct! :~o

Reply to
:Jerry:

There is only me that is married. Only for another two weeks or so though.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I assumed the implication that the child is a bastard was not a dig at a lack of wedlock. It was a way to describe having to go to B&Q for a child. My Grandad can be "an annoying old bastard" when he phones to say he is having trouble with the TV remote etc and he was born in wedlock. The Natural Philosopher used the words "little bastard". That is more like a term of endearment.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I agree.

I wouldn't go *that* far in my assumptions :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Oh it's not such a stigma.

Even the French referred to William the Conqueror as Guillaume le Bâtard and I don't think that they thought badly of him. It was certainly one in the eye for Harald.

Reply to
Andy Hall

called

That's where the Fitz bit of surnames comes from isn't it Fitz-Patrick is the bastard son of Patrick

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Sort of like Patrick Fitzgordon and Gordon Fitzpatrick?

Reply to
Andy Hall

And everyone post Henry VIII has been a bastard as far as the catholics are concerned anyway..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What term would you use for your Grandad when you have to take him shopping for electrical goods and he refuses everything from Germay and Japan and wants to see the English stuff. Comet and Currys staff avoid him like the plague and I am surprised he is not banned from either.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That's a challenge.

Options might be Poland, Hungary, Romania. Some manufacturers have factories in these places and at least Poland ought to be acceptable.

Otherwise, how about the Lucky Goldstar company. Korea should be OK as well, and the company has abbreviated its name to LG to appear more discrete in the West.

At one time there was an obscure Norwegian manufacturer - can't remember the name now.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Can you put a hidden camera on him and put the results on Youtube?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from "ARWadsworth" contains these words:

Hero?

If he fought in the 2nd world war (or even just lived through it) then he has a right to feel aggrieved about the way in which the counties that thankfully lost the war have now won the peace.

Reply to
Roger

Don't think so. It would be rather better to be happy that the countries which demonstrated such bad behaviour have put all that behind them. The people in those countries are no longer the same people he fought - there have been 2 or 3 generations since.

He should be looking at why we "lost the peace", ie why our manufacturing industry failed, rather than seeking to punish those who succeeded.

"Misguided" would be the word I'd use, but at this stage in his life I wouldn't necessarily be trying to reeducate him.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Sorry but it doesn't work like that for those who experienced it directly, my father would not (knowingly) have Japanese stuff in his house for many years, he had lost far to many of his mates to the Burma?Thailand Railway ('The Railway of Death'), the only reason he survived that ordeal was that he joined up under age in '39 and was prevented from travelling (overseas) with his then regiment to Singapore and straight into POW's. He was though able to 'accept' what the Germans did to him in North Africa and later his regiment at Arnham. He did eventually come to terms with what certain people did in the name of Japan and their Emperor but I don't think he ever forgave either Japan or Germany though - for his experiences and wounds of the war troubled and stayed with him to his death bed.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Just because there are people who think that way doesn't make it any better. It is stupid to blame the children and grandchildren of those who caused you harm, especially when those children and grandchildren have done a good job of not repeating the sins of their ancestors - that way lies vendetta, which is a notoriously foolish thing.

I do realise that it can be hard to accept this - but it doesn't make it any less true.

However in the bit you snipped, I did say "but at this stage in his life I wouldn't necessarily be trying to reeducate him".

clive

Reply to
Clive George