Plastic water Pipes in loft with no insulation

Hello, Thanks in advance for any replies.

I have just had a new boiler fitted in the loft and the person who installed it did not insulate the plastic water pipes but did the copper ones. Is this an issue or dont you need to insulate plastic pipes ?. The pipe in question is going to the overflow unit to top up the rads and looks to be coming from the mains feed which feels up the water tank.

Thanks in advance Steve

Reply to
sb6838

on 10/12/2009, snipped-for-privacy@ymail.com supposed :

If copper and plastic have been used, then probably the plastic is ONLY used for overflows - in which case no insulation is necessary.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Reply to
robgraham

Hi Harry, Thanks for the reply. I have just double checked, the pipe in question is to top up the sealed rads and is coming from the mains supply so under mains pressure and is a grey 15mm plastic pipe and clipped to the loft boards. Does this mean i need to insulate them. The copper pipes are part of the radiator loop and to fill up the hot water tank.

Thanks aga> on 10/12/2009, snipped-for-privacy@ymail.com supposed : >

Reply to
sb6838

As the other poster suggested, plastic is less prone to splitting - but it can still split. Insulation is cheap, I would fit some for peace of mind.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If it freezes, it usually just pushes all the joints apart. That's not a problem, until it thaws out...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

well its not a disaster if it freezes. It wont split, and in all probability it will that aw when you need water out of it. But I would lag it meself to be on the safe side.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks to all for all your replies. As suggested I will insulate the pipe.

Thanks aga> snipped-for-privacy@ymail.com wrote:

Reply to
sb6838