should I insulate hot pipes in loft

Dear All

Had my combi fitted in the loft back in July works fine. The only worrying part is the copper pipes for hot/cold water and radiator feed/return are not insulated. I?m going to insulate the cold pipes. My question is should I insulate the hot pipes, and if so do I need to use special insulation as I?m concerned about a fire risk with hot pipes and insulation.

Many Thanks Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Welham

In an unpressurised system, by definition, they are never going to practically hit 100C.

Insulation is good. There is no fire risk.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You should definitely insulate all the pipes.

It is possible that something can fail, or that you are away for a few days etc. and it freezes.

There's no fire risk at all.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Insulate all water pipes. use the heavier insulation on then hot pipes.

Reply to
IMM

Where and how is your combi mounted? on a party wall or gable end ?

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

Put insulation on those pipes and the house will come tumbling down.

Reply to
IMM

Its mounted on the party wall near the center of the house. All the pipes are near the center of the house, even though there not next to the roof, I'm still concerned about freezing.

Andrew

Visi>>Dear All

Reply to
Andrew Welham

Be eqauul as concverned about heat loss into te rof space. If its a cold roof as most are tehse days you will have a sub zero wind whipping the heat out of those pipes faster than you can say 'Intentioally Idiotic Moron' and lose a huge amount of heating capaciy before the pipes even get into teh house.

Insulate them *all* to the absolute hilt. Foam wraps, taped down, and (in my case) chipboard 'trunking' packed with rockwool as well.

Its cheap and it saves money - so why not do it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the advice, all my pipes to and from the combi in the loft are now well insulated

Reply to
Andrew Welham