plastic/rubber flat roof

In September I'll be installing the new roof onto my garage. I've been looking at a DIY flat roof covering "EDPM" supposedly guaranteed 20 years and supplied as a single sheet, made to measure, though the inside corners are separate pieces that need to be bonded with the main sheet.. Clearly from the photographs, the single sheet is actually joined together strips (joined in the factory). The actual material is attached to the roof base below in the fold off the strip, so no hole is made in the exposed material itself. It looks rather good.

Anyone have any experience of this type of roof? I've dliberately not named the supplier or their website for fear of being named as some spammer.

I'm planning to have a very good slope on the roof so that standing water should be non-existent.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

I don't have any experience of EDPM roofs, but EDPM is a very stable rubber and should last 20 years as a roof material.

But I'm curious as to your choice of material - if you're going to have some fall on it, have you considered box profile steel? This will significantly outlast your rubber, and look quite a lot nicer too.

Reply to
Grunff

Good point. I guess the rubber sheet was closest to the bitumen on the existing gargare roof, but without any of the hassle and potentially more reliability. I may well go for the metal roof though. The roof currently drops a brick course over 5 metres.

The roof itself isn't visible to anyone except for the neighbour who will directly overlook it. What about noise (I'm thinking of rain on old corrugated sheds) - don't wan't the neighbour complaining!

Any particular recommendations?

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

I'm sure that fall is quite adequate as long as the timbers allow for the necessary snow loading (but this would be the same for any material).

Box profile is a lot less noisy than old corrugated, but it will be more noisy than rubber. If this is an issue, consider insulated box profile. This has PU insulation bonded to the underside, and is virtually noiseless (but about 3 times the price).

There seems to be a standard polyester coated glavanised box profile, carried by many stockists all around the country. I'd take a look in yell for your nearest supplier.

You'll be amazed how cheap it is, and how quickly the roof will go up.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks Grunff. Will do.

Reply to