Install "Rubber Roofing" on Flat Roof Garage

Why is it some roofers use a blowtorch to heat rubber membrane roof material for a flat roof installation with no adhesives when the instructions I located via Google reveal the following:

". . . Smaller width pieces are often used for residential work. They are easier to handle and there are special adhesives, solvents, and tapes that assure leak free performance at the seams. These membrane roofing systems also permit you to upgrade your house insulation. You can install high performance insulations on the roof deck before the membranes are applied. Often a thin one half inch thick fiberboard sheet is placed on the insulation or roof deck before the single ply membrane is attached. . . . ."

Mike

Reply to
Mike

are you sure they are heating rubber roof membrane? There are also "torch down" roofing products that are not related to EPDM.

Reply to
marson

I doubt they are torching EPDM. You may be talking about torch down Modified Bitumen.

We have not had good luck with EPDM and have eliminated its use. We use metal standing seam when possible or Modified on flat work. We try to add 2" Iso insulation on re roofs with hot applied Modified. I have talked with several foam roof people, though we have not tried it to date.

Reply to
DanG

Which product require "torch down"?

Reply to