Plastering poser

We have 2 artexed (light pattern) ceilings which we want refurbed. They are quite sound. We've had 2 plasterers round to give estimates, one recommends just skimming over the artex, the other recommends putting up plasterboard on the existing ceiling then skimming. Speaking generally, which method would be best? (strangely, the estimates are not far apart).

Reply to
truman

How much to get the plasterboard one to just skim the Artex?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've just had this done - they put PVA on the ceiling and went over it with plaster when it was tacky. No plasterboard in sight and it's still (2 weeks later) up there.

Naturally the plaster's adhesion also depends on the layers of paint which sit between the PVA and the Artex itself, but they weren't flaking so I'm confident I won't be woken up by tumbling ceilings.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Smith

We've had several ceilings done by the scrape-n-skim method. One advantage is that the height changes minimally this way - it's not the headroom that matters, but that the existing corners (e.g. cornices) still look sensible - with the light pattern artexing you have and which we had (still have in some rooms, but they'll all be gone one day!) the extra thickness is maybe 3mm below the previous "natural base". The scraping knocks off the high spots before the PVA-n-skim, which usefuly reduces the volume of plaster to be applied, and stops your plasterer swearing as some sharp high spot of Artex scratches their precious float and naffs up the finish ;-)

By contrast, the PB will intrude some more into the existing corners (9mm board would do for the ceiling), and be heavier (not that your ceiling joists are likely to be that weak...)

HTH - Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba