Help/Advice needed re plastering work-again

Already posted this yesterday, but got no reply-Ms Impatient here! So I`m asking you all again... I`m planning on sorting this next week, when I am off work..cheers

I have a left-hand recess (52" wide) in a spare bedroom, next to the chimney breast, which used to house the airing cupboard/water tank, before I had it removed and the cupboard ripped out , when having a combi fitted. I now need to make good the damage left behind when said cupboard was removed. It appears that all previous plastering/finishing work was done around (??!!) the cupboard, after it was originally fitted into place, as there is now bare brick showing (approx 30 inches of wall from the chimney, into part of the L/H recess), and where the cupboard came into contact with the ceiling, there is no artex, which the rest of the ceiling in the room has got, just some thin board with the joists almost visible. Also, where the left hand side of the airing cupboard ran against the wall, from the floor to ceiling, there is a strip of beading almost plastered in which I will have to remove as well. To compound things further; the pipework for the combi in the loft, now comes down and runs right next to the chimney breast (represented by O`s) and this needs to be hidden, without covering up the Heating control box which is sited on the back wall of the recess, directly next to the pipework.

My questions are;

1) will it be ok to simply batten (1" x 0.5") this whole recess and nail/screw in plasterboard onto it, rather than getting half the wall plastered & trying to get it evenly skimmed/wait absolutely ages for a plasterer, in order to make it good once more? (Also making sure some sort of hole is cut out, to allow access to the control panel behind it)

2) Will I also be able to use plasterboard to `box in` the pipework?

Does anybody have any other suggestions? I have been chasing builders/plasterers up for ages, with no luck, and until this work is carried out, I cannot get the skirting replaced in this recess, nor can I start carpeting the room & getting it back to some semblance of a bedroom/study once more.. Im tearing my hair out!

Reply to
Carolyn

I don't think there aren't any rules with this sort of thing. If plasterboard stuck or screwed to the wall gives you the level you want, go ahead. If it's deep enough for battens, you can pack them out to get a flat surface when the board goes on. Half an inch doesn't give you a lot to screw to though. Suck it and see. Ply or mdf would be better for the boxing in. Plasterboard won't take fixings in the same way and is pretty useless in small sections.

Reply to
stuart noble