Plasma or led screen

I love my aga, but I also love the electric cooker bolted on the side of it.

Horses for courses.

For choice I'd have a gas hob, aga ovens, and electric grill and microwave actually :-)...and a charcoal grill as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

[36 lines snipped]

Indeed, you have no choice, because the internal temperature of your house will be akin to that of a sauna due to the vast amounts of unwanted heat that this antiquated contraption will belch out.

(Keep a careful eye open on the TV. Whenever you see an Aga, start looking for the "proper" cooker that will inevitably also be in the kitchen, and ask yourself "Why?")

Reply to
Huge

Nope, on all counts.

No again. The only alternate we have indoors is a microwave which does not get a lot of use.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sorry, but all three holiday houses we have rented which have Aga/Rayburns suffer from exactly that problem. I don't take kindly to having to vent my expensively generated, fossil fuelled hot air to atmosphere.

That makes you a member of a *very* small minority. All three of the aforementioned houses had "real" cookers, too, or parts of them. Plus several houses we've looked round with a view to purchase (my heart sinks; a bloody Aga. Still, it should sell for a few quid), plus those belonging to friends and relatives. They all have a proper cooker to use in the summer when the "waste" heat from the Aga becomes intolerable. Lovely in the winter, of course, but if you need to buy another cooker, why not get a cooker and central heating system?

Reply to
Huge

They could have been poorly maintained or older models. The insulation has improved on latest ones and it is possible that it has compacted on an older ones.

I've found that energy consumption on cooking has reduced quite a bit in comparison to the conventional set up that I had before and use entirely more pleasurable.

I've never let that concern me in the least. :-)

Probably because the owners of the properties didn't understand how to use the Aga or felt that tenants might not. Shame really.

Some cooking techniques are different and perhaps some people don't master them. It isn't difficult, but then neither is riding a bike unless you can't..

Then again, they have almost certainly not understood how to cook with the Aga or haven't read the instructions.

A conventional cooker is much worse in the summer because each burner releases 2.5 to 3kW into the room, making it impossible to stand in front and use it in any comfortable way.

With the Aga, you can continue as before, place the items in the oven and walk away. Much less stressful.

Because I already have a very good heating system.

The Aga is suitable for cooking and hot water but at 5kW max input is not suitable for space heating.