Resin anchor systems - good/bad?

You can tell it's a new year because of the number of questions I'm asking... (all those jobs I put off last year).

I'm going to be replacing some joists this weekend and I'm just working out exactly what I need to do.

Because I'm forced to work from below the existing floor (long story) I'm not able to use the build in/hammer in joist hangers and have instead sourced some bolt-on hangers.

I intend to place the new joist into the hole left by the old one on one wall and then use the bolt-on joist hanger on the other wall.

My question is, are Resin Anchor Systems any good and would they be suitable for this job? I'm looking at using M12 anchors but I'm concerned that resin bolts wouldn't be as suitable as standard expanding anchors. The only reason I'm trying to avoid using standard anchors is that one of the joist hangers will be very close to the back wall and access will be a bit of a bugger.

The products I'm looking at are these:

thoughts?

Thanks once again

Seri

Reply to
Seri

The resin capsules are a great way of fixing. Place the capsule in the hole you drilled, and hammer in the threaded rod right in to break it. You only have to leave it for a little while to set, so not waiting around for days. We use them all the time without problems.

Reply to
BigWallop

Not only that, when used for a bolt on hanger, pretty much all the load is a shear force on the bolts, there will be very little "pull" on them anyway (it would probably stay put even if you forgot to put the nuts on!)

Reply to
John Rumm

around for

This is good news to me.

They've been specified (by the structural engineer) for a slapping I'm doing. There's a steel standard (PFC) to go up one edge of the slap which has to be fixed to the end of the wall. It's a single brick wall so I guess that's why resin is used, expansion fittings might be a bad idea.

It would be good to have the PFC in place then drill and place the fastenings. Is this possible, what's the relationship between the diameter of the resin capsule/hole in the masonry and the diameter of the stud/hole in the PFC? The fixings are specified as 1M8.

Extra credit question. Some fixings are 1Mx (e.g 1M8 resin anchor) and some are 2Mx (e.g. 2M12 and 2M16 rawlbolts). What's the significance of the numerical prefix?

Reply to
urchaidh