Planning permission for detached

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct group, I'm just after a bit of quick advice.

Can I convert a single brick-built detached garage into a double breeze block built detached garage that would have the breeze block clearly visible from the road?

My understanding was that on a private estate the finish of the building needs to be in keeping with the existing surroundings. Is this correct?

BTW, it's not a building I want to make, but rather a building a neighbour has recently built. It is now, in my opinion, an eyesore but I don't remember seeing anything from the planning office.

Many thanks for your time.

BBz

Reply to
bob.binz.ut

Ask your local planning office and/or if it's on private land, the landlord.

Reply to
adder1969

Check your local council's website. You can normally search for planning permission applications.

Reply to
diy-newby

If your neighbour had applied for PP then you would have had a letter inviting you for your views on the matter.

mark

Reply to
Mark

I recently looked into a similar case to this. Contrary to what I thought, some permanent building works - ie, not wooden sheds and the like - do not need planning permission even when visible from the road, provided they are behind the 'building line', and below both an overall volume limit and a certain percentage volume of the original house. However, unless its a big house, I would have thought it would need planning permission.

Note that, for permanent non - habitable buildings in the rear garden, not visible from the road, I believe the main restrictions are not bigger than half the garden area, not higher than 4 metres, and minimum 2 metres from any fenceline. May vary a bit among authorities, I suspect.

Reply to
4square