PIR troubles

triggering signals to the PIR.

ay well be lit enough, you might be able to tell from the image you get fro m the camera if teh colours of the image look a bit washed out or monochrom e compared with say what your smartphone sees it could be that the IR LEDs are almost always on a bit. I used to notice then on my webcam as the light started to fail even a clody day could mean the IR LEDS came on.

The glow is visible light which in theory it shouldn't be producing if its a treu IR LED Some of my studetns have this problem so they think the IR LED isn't workin g so increase the voltage until it glows them goes pop. Sometimes you can see IR using a smartphone or camera will see a brighter g low.

It could be other IR tings, now and again my dyson fan heater comes on when I change TV channnels well happened about 3 times in 6 months, but it coul d be something else, maybe sunlight through a window catching something shi ney or something reflecting, or another IR device or remote. Best of luck

Reply to
whisky-dave

But... it's only happened since the camera was installed a month ago and the PIR (and its predecessors) has been there for 30 years.

Looks like I'm going to need it!

Is your plan now to buy a new PIR and install that?

Reply to
GB

Don't you mean the PIR? That's what you were wanting to get into further up this thread. If it's wired, then opening it up should be straight forward, because it must have been opened at some time in order to make the connections. Is there a little slot somewhere close to a seam, with a tongue in it that you can gently push back or lever aside with a small screwdriver to unlatch it and take a cover off? Don't attempt it with the alarm system active or there will be noise! There may be noise anyway. I had to change a PIR unit nine months ago because it was giving false alerts, and in the process there was a lot of noise. Twisting together the two wires in the tamper circuit stopped it, until it came to reconnecting them. I replaced it with a Gardtec 12m PIR Motion Detector from Radiospares, Stock no.: 493-1289, as that seemed to be the closest modern equivalent to the one already there.

or
It's wired, like yours, and doing the biz, but I'm sure there are loads of others. E-bay is full of them for similar prices.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

This PIR looks very like yours:

The manual is here:

To open up the unit, you need to release the tongue at the bottom of the unit with a small screwdriver, Figure 2.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I did! Trying to do too many things at the same time...

Thanks to your other reply, I've got into the PIR and everything seemed fine.

I did, however, get all sorts of nonsense coming out of the panel and I suspect there's a loose joint in there somewhere. It looks as though the long-avoided panel replacement is nigh. But will have to wait a couple of weeks.

That and a new panel by the looks of it. I've got some ear defenders somewhere...

IME anything that breaks the continuity of the anti-tamper circuit, such as opening a PIR, will set off the alarm and need you to go scurrying back to the control panel to punch in the right code to stop it.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

when I change TV channnels well happened about 3 times in 6 months, but it could be something else, maybe sunlight through a window catching something shiney or something reflecting, or another IR device or remote.

the camera sends out IR well the IR LEDS do.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I've finally got a round tuit...

Assuming it is the LEDs in the CCTV camera that are causing the false alarms, can anyone recommend a replacement for the PIR that won't be susceptible?

Every PIR wil pick them up the same.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Perhaps I should reword the question...

Can anyone recommend a motion detector that won't be affected by CCTV camera LEDs?

There's always ultrasonic doppler effect, but I've not seen those motion detectors offered for decades. And there's beam break, but ditto. Pressure pads go even further back in time & technology.

I suppose if you could replace the IR LEDs with visibles that would work.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You could try a "dual tech" sensor these have both PIR and microwave doppler sensors. Both have to trigger for alarm to be signalled. or perhaps just microwave sensor if you can get them on their own, they work through walls which can be problematical.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks. Can you, or anyone else, recommend a particular make or model?

That one's only IP20 rated though ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for that.

A little more searching on Ebay came up with

(Links to

I wonder if that might do the trick?

There's plenty of cheap ultarsonic sensors

And there's beam break, but ditto. Pressure pads go even further back in time & technology.

Maybe use ultra violet and get a tan too ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave