PIR cable colours

Hello,

I have recieved a PIR unit.

It has three cables - blue, red and brown. The blue is clearly neutral, but am I right in thinking that the red is the supply live and the brown is the switched live?

Thanks, Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

If Blue is neutral I would have thought brown was live - however, red to me is hotter than brown, so I guess it could be either - try it, one way it won't work (without drama)

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

I would have thought brown is supply and red is switched. It probably won't let the smoke out if you connect it the wrong way round.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

The "red" is/was the fixed wiring live colour and "brown" the appliance wiring colour. It sort of makes sense to have red connected to the house and brown to the light. In any case, this is just mindless speculation!

It could even work both ways round if it is designed to, although it probably isn't.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:31:23 -0000, "Al Reynolds" strung together this:

Dunno, try the manual. It could be either way round, it'll either work, or it won't. It won't blow it up if you get it wrong, as long as the neutral is in the right place.

Reply to
Lurch

That was my thought - that the brown would be live on the "appliance" side and the red would be live on the "circuit" side. Guess I'll just have to try it both ways.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Have tried it both ways now.

The brown cable into the PIR was for the supply live, and the red cable out of the PIR was the switched live.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Hey you guys !!! The new part P is on its way, and having just read the replies to this one, I think you should start to read up on the new colours to be used in the harmonised wiring.

Brown is live supply Blue is negative supply

Red, Grey, White Etc. are switched live or phase wiring, unless clearly marked as being otherwise.

Smacked wrists all round on this one, mee thinks. :o)

Reply to
BigWallop

If the PIR is for a burglar alarm then I would have thought that a standard colour coding would make the burglars life easy. Now lets see what colour is the tamper loop? :-)

Reply to
Broadback