Pipework detection

I have twice made the mistake of trying to screw in a loose floorboard only to drill into a central heating water pipe.

I am in the amrket for somehting to detect these

ANyone used this - is it reliable?

mo

mo explained on 25/07/2010 :

Not that one, but one similar. Yes it worked, but you need to test it where you know there are pipes to get a good feel for its range. Remember it will pick up every screw and nail in the floor, so you need to trace along a pipe to make sure it is a pipe/ cable, rather than a nail etc.. The smaller the head of a metal detector, the shorter its penetration range.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

sort of thing should do the job but I find a bradawl to be quite effective and much cheaper. It there's a pipe in the way you'll soon feel and hear the resistance when you push it in and you're not going to damage a copper pipe with just hand pressure. But don't rely on this to find power cables!

It's also an effective method of confirming that there really is a stud behind plasterboard where you intend to put a screw. If you loose resistance towards the end as it breaks through the back of the board you know you've missed and small bradawl holes leave less of a scar to patch up than full size screw holes.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

mo said the following on 25/07/2010 02:13:

Recently I got and used the following Bosch similar toy.
needs practice and patience to understand how it works. In your case it might help a bit more because it can identify magnetic versus non-magnetic metals.

Cheers C.

Reply to
Charles C

I certainly wouldn't rely on a detector of any type in a commercial situation.

The only 100% safe way IMO is to remove a few boards, mark the pipe runs on the surface & then screw everything down.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I did that once. The family thought I was crazy. I'm glad that I'm not as crazy as I thought. Who knows what the next people to lift the carpet will think.

Reply to
Fred

The builder of my house had done a similar thing - but in faint pencil.

I have gone over the lines in colour coded felt tip whenever I have had the chance (carpet replacements).

Reply to
John