Bungs

Are these bungs any good?

want to change radiators (to more modern compact design units) as we redecorate a series of rooms over the next couple of years and we don't want to drain the system down each time or do all the radiators in one hit, so something to stop the water pouring out would be of considerable help.

Reply to
rbel

tough.

If you are going to remove rads, unless you have already fitted external isolation valves, its either freeze and swap, or drain down and leave the CH off.

Who needs CH at this time of year anyway?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

> We want to change radiators (to more modern compact design units) as

You can change rads without draining provided the inlet/outlet are in the same place. The bungs enable to change the valves as well without draining.

The bungs do work - most of the time - if you can get a good tight fit.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They work, provided you only have one opening into the system at any given time. Two opeings and the chances are air will go in one and (yukky) water come out the other even if they are nominally at the same level.

If the existing rads have valves each end and the new rads will fit into the same length space you needn't bother with the bungs, just shut the valves but remember that the rad is still full of water...

If you need to adjust the pipe work you might get away with the bungs but I'm not sure I'd risk it. The pipe waggling or cutting into a horizontal run may well let air glug in and water out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And if you have a thermostatic valve.....A neighbour of mine failed to anticipate a drop in temperature and went away for the weekend.

Reply to
stuart noble

I read the thread title and thought it might be a discussion on political corruption.

Reply to
1501

That's what decorators caps are for. And if you don't have one, take off the thermostat head and put it back with a 5p piece underneath it.

Reply to
Huge

I thought it was about the Pakistan cricket team...

Reply to
Bob Eager

> We want to change radiators (to more modern compact design units) as we

While you are at it, the Speedfit push on pipe ends are excellent for quickly blanking off any pipes you are not going to use for a while. I've been very impressed at how well they seal and how easy they are to push on and off.

On bungs proper: good ones can be made by boiling champagne (or fake champagne) corks in water. They quickly swell up to make a bung that, once bored is ideal for wine making demijohns, and numerous other uses around the house.

And similarly: I've just discovered a use for the pointy bit of silicon sealer that dries in the plastic applicator cap between uses. My kettle had been leaking from worn 'grommet' type seals around the fill level tube. Searching the kitchen drawers for possibilities, I found one of these pointy bits of silicon rubber; cut it into slices, bored with trusty cork borer, and presto: kettle not leaking (for now at least!).

Useful 'bungy' things to be found in the most unexpected places.

Spamlet

>>> We want to change radiators (to more modern compact design units) as we

Many thanks for the responses

Reply to
rbel

Does your silicone include fungicide?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ssh there, it's not been proven in court

You'll have dennis on your case

Reply to
geoff

Wish you hadn't said that. I'll have a sleepless night now...

And I was going to dream about the nice blue eyed blonde young lady who squirted cold gunge into my eye socket this morning...and let me look into her eyes a lot.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Good point: probably not for long as the 'grommets' are only small relative to the quantity of boiling water. I don't know which particular tube this stuff came from, but I would go for clear 'general purpose' stuff in preference (which looks to be what the originals were).

Cheers,

Spamlet