Pipes in stud walls

Hi, I'm back !

More plumbing queries.

I want to run 15mm pipes down through a stud wall i'm building.

Any gotchas I should be aware of, what is the preferred method of fixing within, or are they to be left floating in loose holes bored in the studs ?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

For vertical, fit noggins somewhat thinner than the studding, and use pipe clips to these.

For horizontal, notch the studs and reinforce, and perhaps run a steel strap over the notch, and again use pipe clips. Loose pipes might well hammer or bang.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Never do them up tight tho - use that felt sleeving between them and teh clamps - otherwise they will creak when warming up and expanding.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Great. I'm running horizontal parallel to studs, do I batten these and secure with clips (are metal or plastic better)

Can I put a block between pipes with a pipe clip on each end clamping them together resting on the ceiling where space is tight or is this a botch ?

I've had to bend the pipes into a gentle curve to get them under the floor. (It was only possible to get 2/3 floorboards up for access on both sides of a wall.

This has left the pipes slightly bent under there. Is this normal, or should I straighten them out as best as possible. Does it matter ?

Really sorry to be asking such numpty questions, but if I don't I'll never learn to do it properly and the job will forever look bodged.

Thank in advance

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

Studs run vertically.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

(Zymurgy) wrote

Any news chaps ? I've got dangling pipes over here.....

Advice appreciated

Thanks

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

(Zymurgy) wrote

B*llocks to it then, they can stay bent ;-)

I'm tired of waiting.

HTH

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

They are out of sight presumably, in which case there is nothing wrong with non-straight pipes. Indeed some plumbers even bend them through 90 degrees.

I would have used plastic pipe in that situation - it is so easy to thead into difficult locations.

-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to reply

Reply to
Phil Addison

Ok, Thanks.

Sorry for getting impatient, The floorboards were up and I had impending visitors !!

The pipes are only in just a gentle curve, but I was worried there would be issues when the hot water pipe expanded. Would this tend to straighten a gentle curve ?

Also what's the concensus on compression fittings on hot water pipe. Are end feed or solder ring's any stronger/better/longer lasting than compression ?

The pipes are out of sight anyway, but I didn't know what sort of out of sight plumbing crimes were perpetrated by real plumbers !

Cheers & thanks again.

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy