pipe cutters

Hello,

The rollers in my pipe cutters have rusted and seized, I will try to unscrew it and lubricate it to bring it back to life, but I wondered about buying a new one. Are there any that are stainless steel and don't rust?

I see some have a "flap" like this:

whereas some do not, like this:

Is the "flap" useful? Or does it make absolutely no difference?

Has anyone tried this ratchet cutter:

It sounds useful in theory but how is it in practice?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

The sort of steel that takes the best edge and retains it isn't stainless.

Whatever you get to replace it, keep somewhere dry.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Personally if it isn't Monument I don't buy it. I've had one of these for >40 years and it still works perfectly. I even use it for stripping SWA cable and plastic conduit.

I have the 15mm Monument ring cutter, which is useful in tight spaces, but it's not as good as the one above. I also have the open jaw type cutter, this avoids the pipe distorting which can occur with the ring cutters, but it can creep along the pipe on occasions.

Reply to
Capitol

Yup, annoying when you are twiddling it in an awkward position, thinking this pipe is taking ages to cut, only to find you are scribing a spiral grove along its outside!

Reply to
John Rumm

I've got one of the one like the one in the OP's first link - it didn't have much use but now doesn't work properly. Can't say I found the flap seems to make much difference.

d=don't think I've had the pipe distorting, but ring cutters can creep along the pipe as well sometimes.

I do have an adjustable cutter like the one you link to, but I prefer the ring cutters. I have some of the metal Rothenberger pipeslice ones and they have been fine.

eg

Chris French

Re posting as it seems the original never made it.

Hello,

The rollers in my pipe cutters have rusted and seized, I will try to unscrew it and lubricate it to bring it back to life, but I wondered about buying a new one. Are there any that are stainless steel and don't rust?

I see some have a "flap" like this:

whereas some do not, like this:

Is the "flap" useful? Or does it make absolutely no difference?

Has anyone tried this ratchet cutter:

It sounds useful in theory but how is it in practice?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Stephen explained on 08/07/2015 :

Both links are to the same item.

The red with a yellow flap type, make it particularly easy to cut a pipe with one hand and in a tight corner, plus the pressure increase automatically. If the other type was like a G clamp, they need more space to turn, really two handed and manually need to be tightened as the cut progresses.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Stephen writes

There were replies to your previous post

Reply to
Chris French