Pilot/Trial holes

I am thinking of having a second storey extension built on top of an existing extension. The problem I have is that I don't know what the foundations are like on the existing foundation to see if they will support a second storey.

The local Building Control department have told me get a Trial/Pilot hole dug and they will come out and inspect the foundations.

I have been told the make sure the hole is on one of the corners of the existing extension so that both sides of the foundations are exposed and visible.

As I have never done this before, can anyone suggest the best way to this, what to do and what to avoid, any pitfalls to look out for. Do I need to be a set distance away from the walls?

I assume (on the basis the ground id sodt enough) a spade and the likes will do, i.e. no drill/diggers required

Any comments appreciated M

Reply to
Bigshow

Basically you need to dig down next to the walls at a corner so that the side of the foundations can be seen, this may well involve a metre deep pit. If you dig this with a spade the hole will be eneornous, get a post hole spade, one with two handles that can lift the spoil out of the hole, dig the first foot deep with a conventional small spade then change to the the post hole tool. This also saves your back to some extent.

Reply to
mrcheerful