Pilot hole needed?

I have to a (SDS) drill 16mm hole in some brickwork for a rawlbolt. Is it best to drill a pilot first? I think probably not, as presumably SDS is designed to start with it's own leading edge (?)

Reply to
Dave

Depends on how accurate it needs to be - a hammer type action tends to overbore a bit epecially at first.

Mostly no one cares, as most of the strength is from the deeper part of the hole.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can't do any harm to start with a 5mm bit. I usually use a non hammer drill for any kind of precision. My SDS bounces about a bit too much

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I don't bother. I do start with hammer switched off for accuracy, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle