Performance Power not crap shocker!

I needed a random orbital sander in a hurry. so rather than conduct my usual lengthy, and somewhat pathetic internet research, I went to the Shed and got Performance Power 420 watt job.

It's excellent. Really sturdy. It has the velcro style base plate which beats the whatsit out of my old B&D effort.

Plus it was only twelve quid. I've already used it loads - if it breaks now I'll toss it and get another. NUJ

Reply to
Neal Jones

Heh. When I first read about random orbit sanders, I was very sceptical. I didn't really want to add another sander to my vast range or crappy orbital sanders which don't really sand at all.

I was in B&Q one day, and I saw the PP random orbit sander for £18. I thought what the heck, let's try it. Took it home, tried it, and whaddya know - it actually worked! For the first time, a sander other than my belt sander actually worked!! I was most pleased. I used it to sand wood. For exactly 2 hours. Then it stopped 'random orbiting', it just spun.

So it went right back to B&Q, and I bought at Bosch PEX400 instead. This is a very similar tool in design. It performs in much the same way, with the following differences:

  1. It has a much, much better dust collector.
  2. It vibrates a lot less.
  3. It hasn't stopped working yet.

I've used the Bosch for maybe 60 hours so far. Superb.

Keep your receipt. When it breaks, get a Bosch.

Reply to
Grunff

Similar experience. I started with a B&D one and it failed in the same way - the random orbit didn't.

I replaced it with a Metabo SXE450 and that has the same attributes of excellent dust collection into a bag or to extraction and an ability to set 3mm or 6mm orbits.

In terms of vibration I can do a day's work with it and have no sensation of tingling fingers at the end.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And does anyone have experience of the Axminster RAS125 Random Orbit Sander?

Quite a bit cheaper than the PEX400AE (and the SXE450!) - but is it that much worse?

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Not tried it, but as much as I like Axminster, I'm not a fan of their White range (at least not the hand tools - some of the bigger stuff is good value). I had one of their 18V combis for a while, and frankly that sucked.

Reply to
Grunff

Grunff wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

Thanks Grunff.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Argos have one £10.75 in a sale, which will be about the same quality, if not better, than the white one.

Reply to
IMM