Perceived difference between 42 db(A) and 43 db(A)

A domestic refrigerator has a stated noise level of 42 db(A). Another model is rated at 43 db(A).

Can anyone interpret these db numbers for me, by saying whether or not the first will be easily perceived as quieter than the second?

Reply to
DanR

Your ears are unlikely to notice any difference.

Reply to
EricP

True, here's a guide:

0dB the faintest sound we can hear 30dB a quiet library or in a quiet location in the country 45dB typical office space. Ambience in the city at night 60dB Martin Place at lunch time 70dB the sound of a car passing on the street 80dB loud music played at home 90dB the sound of a truck passing on the street 100dB the sound of a rock band 115dB limit of sound permitted in industry 120dB deafening

Note there's 10-15dB between the categories so expect 5dB to be the point where it would make a noticeable difference.

Reply to
fred

No. 1dbA is the minimum change detectable by a human when the two are effectively placed side by side and compared under blind test conditions.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

1dB is generally accepted as being the smallest *change* in level the ear can detect. But only in the middle range of loudness. A change of 1dB at '100dB' or '20dB' would largely go unnoticed.

The 'A' refers to a frequency compensation curve, as the ear's frequency response isn't linear, but frequency dependant.

However, like all body parts, individual's hearing differs, and alters with age. And you *might* be more susceptible to the type of noise one machine makes than the other, regardless of measurements.

So that's a definite maybe in answer to your question. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In theory, 3dB (a doubling of the amount of noise) is the least your ears can detect.

So, 1dB is going to make no difference whatsoever.

Reply to
Huge

The decibel is considered to be (roughly, of course) equal to the smallest difference in sound level that can be detected by the human ear. So the answer to your question is: not "easily", no.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Varying test conditions can make a difference in measurements and preceived difference will depend on the environment you use the appliance in (e.g. it probably doen't radiate equally in all directions nor have a flat noise spectrum).

I should just choose the model you prefer and forget splitting hairs on the specs.

Reply to
dom

Tsk, tsk. 3dB is a doubling of power. The ear doesn't use that scale - it works in 'volts'. And 6 dB is twice the voltage. But give the average person a volume control and ask them to double the perceived loudness and you'll arrive at about 10 dB.

Which is why those upgrading from a 100 watt amp to a 200 watt one are rather disappointed if they expect it to be twice as loud...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's more to it than 'loudness' - other factors such as frequency etc will play an equally differentiating role. Furthermore, one assumes the fridge won't be making noise all the time hence it would be useful to know (yet admittedly impossible to find out) how often the fridge will be making the noise(s) for.

To put it another way, the figures quoted matter little as there's far more to such a comparison.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

The difference is small - and also likely to be far less than the difference between samples of the same model, there will be a manufacturing tolerance of a few dB even if it isn't stated. Added to that, where the compressor is in the casing relative to the placing of the fridge in a room can easily make either one sound louder than the other.

Reply to
Peter Parry

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember fred saying something like:

Noisy eater, is he?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

That'll teach me for quoting without attribution: Quoted from:

're in Aus so possibly:

fred

Yeah, yeah, I got it wrong. It is, of course, 1dB that's the minimum difference detectable.

Reply to
Huge

Thank you kind people for your replies.

If one decibel is a 'just noticeable difference', then I suppose logically the difference between 42 db and 43 db is noticeable - just. But not something to be over-concerned about in the light of the other complicating factors you have mentioned.

The figures are from the Bosch FridgeFreezer catalogue; 42 db(A) is the Exxcel mid-price range, and the 43 db(A) is the more expensive Logixx range. It is going to be in a kitchen/diner, so the noise factor is relevant.

Reply to
DanR

130dB. What you get out of an Ipod/walkman with headphones.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Er no. 1dBA is in fact DEFINED as the smallest sound level DIFFERENCE you can detect.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

complicating

For what it's worth I have an Exxcel Fridge/freezer in the kitchen and most of the time I have to check the little light to make sure that it's still switched on.

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Mark Spice

The Natural Philosopher ( snipped-for-privacy@b.c) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

There is a volume control, y'know. It goes down as well as up.

I SAID... THERE IS A...

Reply to
Adrian

That is interesting to know, Mark.

For what it is worth, Which? magazine rated the noise level of some fridgefreezers as Acceptable, Good or Excellent. The Bosch-listed Exxcell 42 db(A) was rated Excellent by Which?, but the Logixx 43 db(A) rated only Acceptable.

DanR

Reply to
DanR