People drinking less ..

Because of the price, amongst other factors.

Would have thought there would be a surge in homebrewing ?

(Posted by someone who has home distilled for 17 years ...)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Is this in the freezer type of concentrating or a genuine still?

I'm very wary of distilling a flammable liquid that has a history of deaths and explosions!

Reply to
Fredxx

Pot still. AKA "water purifier"

Fair enough. Never really crossed my mind. Or rather, as with anything I made sure I knew what I was doing before I did it.

If nothing else, it was handy to have 55% alcohol around when COVID struck.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Fredxx snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid wrote

Presumably there has been but its not trivial to do.

More than 20 for me and beer and cider too.

Genuine still in my case.

No it does not in the first world. That only happens in the 3rd world where the worst of them deliberately sell methanol instead of ethanol because its cheaper.

Can't happen.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The popularity of home brewing (and wine-making) has been up and down over the decades.

Reply to
JNugent

Of course it can't happen:

And you say you're subject is chemistry? Sheesh

Reply to
Fredxx

When I took it up (many years back), it was because I knew people who already did it so I had examples (and advice) to follow.

If the numbers involved in home brewing has declined too far, people will not see it as a possible option.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

There is nothing even remotely like that with a STILL, f****it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Donf believe that with the internet so common now.

Reply to
Rod Speed

:-)

Some might say that being offered a taste of someone's home brew will deter them from trying it for themselves.

Reply to
JNugent

Never happened with any of mine.

Reply to
Rod Speed

So?? Next you'll be saying 'it can't happen'.

Yes, of course it couldn't possibly happen:

Fredxx

Yours must be better than any of the home brew I've ever been offered.

Reply to
JNugent

Fredxx snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid wrote

So, given that there is nothing even remotely like that with a STILL, it isnt going to happen with a STILL, f****it.

Next you'll be saying 'it can't happen'.

Thats not an EXPLOSION, f****it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

JNugent <jennings& snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote

Yes they are.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Even with the prices of shop bought (and pubs) rising so far ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

How do you make wine at home? I mean real wine, not Lambrini.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

Depends what you mean by wine.

We have a wine-making store here, and at harvest time, flats of wine-making grapes are available, if you want to make wine directly from grapes.

You can also get wine concentrate, which takes the labour of dealing with grapes out of the equation. You can think of that as "quality control".

It involves a good sized room, carboys, one-way valve on top for fermentation exhaust to exit through. Then there's some sort of gadget for measuring the "done-ness" (refractometer?).

But it all looks like a colossal bore to me, because the wine you get from that, is not going to match your favourite vintage you might have picked up at the store.

You can also make things at home, you are more likely to savour, rather than guzzle.

There are other potential steps in wine-making, but the people I've known doing it, they don't bother with this.

A typical homemade wine, you'd probably drink all of it, within a couple years of making it. You don't leave that stuff in your "wine cellar". You might try something like this to make it palatable longer.

If the result does not taste like furniture polish or turps, you're doing good :-)

No, I've never made wine. It's just too much work.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

You can certainly make a very decent beer/ale at home though.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Am 16/02/2024 um 11:08 schrieb Paul:

Wine is an industrial product. You don't "brew" wine. Whatever that store sells, it's not wine.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso