Pedestal Fan cuts out when tilted down

I have a pedestal fan which normally works fine. However, if I tilt it down slightly, the fan will stop.

If I tap it or raise it, it will start again.

Sounds like a loose connection perhaps, but what should I be looking for when I strip it down?

Steve...........

Reply to
dog-man

If it is losing electrical power it could be a loose wire or it could be an over-sensitive safety cut out.

Reply to
Invisible Man

In article , dog-man writes

It's not uncommon for such things to use spade terminals and it will be obvious if these are loose, they will just flop about when tweaked rather than feel firm. If there are screw terminals, check that these are tight. Look for discoloured connections or wiring. As it is cutting out completely then it could be a broken wire in a loom that flexes as the movable parts are shifted. Flex wiring to see if there are unnatural kinks or easier than expected movement.

These checks should be done with power isolated as a broken wire may poke through insulation to give a shock hazard. Most faults should be traceable without wiggle testing on live equipment.

Reply to
fred

Sounds like internal safety tilt switch , mebbe its over snsitive or badly adjusted.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Is there any possibility that it is a mechanical problem, caused by slight axial movement as you tilt it?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Are you tilting the whole thing - or are you pivoting it somehow. Is a flexible cable having to move?

Reply to
John