PC slowing down

Strangely, I did that earlier this week. And broke some pesky app that looked for a copy of its installation file there - EVERY time you ran it!

It was quite a faff as it wouldn't install again until I'd deinstalled it. And it wouldn't deinstall because the install file wasn't there. (if you're asking why putting the install file back there didn't fix it...it was in a subdirectory with one of those long multi-digit names; I got there in the end)

Reply to
Bob Eager

They all are Firefox and Ie have issues. If you have 10 Edge is a bit better, but as I say, page designers seem to be clueless about real machines. Some machines with only a 1 core processor or maybe a core2 duo are rubbish with rich content javascript html 5 and flash. I suppose seeing as I do not use twitface and t7urn off graphics I'd never really notice this. On some more modern machines of the multi core variety you often need to speed up the processor idling speed as it seems detection of a core max out is pretty poor and set at 10 percent its no wonder pcs seem slow. Up it to

50 percent but if a laptop expect the battery to run flat faster. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff

He's got a problem with a single application, Facebook, nothing more.

Probably as a result of some setting or other.

Given that the basis of its revenue model is the more users (i.e product) the better, I very much Facebook can't be run so at to consume fewer resources than it currently appears to be doing.

John Rumms suggestion of a virus check, for something specific to Facebook maybe, is certainly worth following up IMO.

michael adams

michael adams

Spybot ask you if you wish to delete all temporary files each time it runs. But there are loads it then says it can't delete.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Isn't that OT, Huge? Or are you exempt, being a netcop?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Firefox can be horrendously slow IME.

Reply to
Mark

IME Win7 is intrinsically slow.

Reply to
Mark

In article , Mark scribeth thus

IME it's quite nippy least on this machine which is a few years old now but has got sufficient memory and a SSD..

Reply to
tony sayer

and it slows down as time goes by. It can be tuned to run faster and stay that way if you know what you're doing.

I just recently did a clean install of W7 64-bit after running for years and years with a system that's been upgraded in-place from Win3.1 - Win

95 - 98 - 98se - 2000 - XP - Vista - 7. This was 32-bit and I needed the extra memory space offered by 64-bit.

The clean install is no quicker as I had the old install so well tuned. It boots to a usable desktop in 4-5 sec, the benefit of two SSDs in RAID0 :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Thing with a clean install. Isn't Windows going to tell you to update to the latest security etc fixes?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News) escribió:

Yes, and it'll happily go fetch them once the initial install is completed. I don't understand your question.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I'd been told that is is all the various updates that slows Windows down.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News) escribió:

I'd stop listening to whoever is advising you, as they're full of shit. It's not dennis is it?

You must install the updates if you want to have any hope of being safe and secure online. You would be very, very, very, very silly not to install them.

And don't use IE. Use a proper browser like Firefox or Chrome.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Before spending any money check that the correct video card driver is installed. I had problems last year after windows did an "upgrade"! It had installed a generic microsoft driver and uninstalled the correct NVidia one. Installing the correct driver cured the problem.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

No idea. As I'd obviously ignore it. I'm not an NHS manager. ;-)

Quite.

Have you actually read this thread?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News) escribió:

Yes. Have you?

You're killfiled, so I only see those posts of yours that I explicitly fetch.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I remember you said I was killfiled as well ...tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Obviously not since you think I use IE. Mentioned I only use Firefox earlier on.

Then please keep me killfiled. Pain in the arse trying to explain things over and over again to one who can't be bothered to read the thread.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Haven't followed the thread so this might have been covered. This:

was mentioned recently on a tech site as a useful tool for identifying what might be causing problems.

Reply to
RJH

Decided to get an SSD for it. Got a Kingston HyperX same as in my laptops. This is supplied with Acronis single use (IIRC) disc cloning software. Which I've used before with success.

All went well until the point where it shuts down the machine, restarts and clones the HD (using BIOS?). After a couple on minutes, the PC shut down. Without cloning the disc. Tried several times - same result.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)