PC cooling fans ...

Majority of these are low voltage DC units .... anybody know what type of motors they are ?

I assume they are brushless units, are they switched commutator design?, permanent magnet ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Rick Hughes presented the following explanation :

All the modern ones seem to be brushless types. Some have an extra terminals which set their speed of rotation and provide feedback of speed, but I'm not clear on just how this latter works.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

all the ones I have pulled apart are brushless with a static set of windings and a rotating permanent magnet

Reply to
Kevin

The three pin ones use two pins for power and common, and the third for a rotation sensor that provides pulses.

The speed is controlled by pulse width modulation of the power feed.

Reply to
Bob Eager

See

Michael Chare

Description and photos of such a motor being disassembled.

Reply to
Rod

electronic commutation iirc

NT

Reply to
meow2222

OK ... seems consensus is t hat they are permanent magnet ... great so far.

A few weeks back I detailed a project where I need to put air through some pipes, don't need high pressure, or high flow .... anybody know if I fitted a 4" ver of these fans into a box, if they would be able to supply piped air 'out of the box' .... there could be for example

2 x 1'5" diam outlets. If it makes sense I'm trying to make one of these items ...
initial idea I went to look at radial fans, and bathroom extract duct fans ... all too expensive for this job.

There is a commercial product that uses a PC fan built into a coat hanger, hence my thinking that PC fans may be an answer. I'm guessing though t hat they are happy blowing into effectively a big bag ... but won't be so happy if I try to pipe the air (back pressure?)

Reply to
Osprey

I dont think 1 pc fan would work but try

a range of fans

Reply to
Kevin

I think you'd be better off with a laptop centrifugal fan (or 2) with possibly a pulse width modulated 12V supply.

I use ones that Dorothy on uk computers home built sells for about 7 quid, for blowing small cookstoves. The small one NMB_MAT draws 0.38 A max.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

If youre not looking for fast drying, a standard pc fan would be fine. I dont know why you'd want to pipe it anywhere.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I looked at the site ... these appear (to me) to be radial fans, not centrifugal ? ..... i.e air flows is on axis through the fan. With centrifugal air comes in on axis and is pressurised off at a tangent at 90 degress (i.e blower design)

Reply to
Osprey

Yes it's centrifugal as opposed to the axial ones on most PCs and PSUs, as I said they're normally found on laptops. She doesn't display them but supplied me with a BG0703-B044-000

A google gives this image of a similar 24V one:

AJH

If youre not looking for fast drying, a standard pc fan would be fine. I dont know why you'd want to pipe it anywhere.

NT

If you look at the link I gave ... the guy had a neat idea that he built a frame , suit goes over the frame ,,, and air is blown into frame, it comes out at ends .. and thus air is pushed into far 'corners' of suit ..... low volume low pressure air, but drys suit in a couple of hours instead of days.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Yes I did look. My point, perhaps not well enough explained, is that you get better performance using a fan on a baffle than piping it about. The suit acts as its own ducting.

NT

Reply to
meow2222