Pay per mile instead of road vehicle licence.

IIUC if you can't show somewhere to park, then you are still allowed to buy a "Kei car" - at least in rural areas anyway:

John Rumm

Lots of flats near me are like that they don't want anyone to have a car because there's a station near by. So they are pretty much stoping anyone with a trade like a plumber , electrician, carpenter, plasterers etc. Buying these flats.

The coucil seem to think all jobs can be done by sending an email so someone. Maybe that's why it took them 2 years to replace my green wheelie bin.

Reply to
whisky-dave

not necessaily flats, round here it's little rabbit hutches

Reply to
charles

they are diffucult to send by email.

Reply to
charles

Some circumstances, or all of them?

You absolutely don't need to justify use of a car, especially not to me. It's your right (as long as you comply with all the legal requirements and are not disqualified from driving).

You all have a right to use a car.

What you don't have a right to do is to garage (a term which works better than "park" in this context) a vehicle on the highway. A lot of people seem to think they do have that right, but no-one does.

One of the legal requirements that might have to be complied with is a parking restriction. There's one right outside my door, across my driveway, in the form of one of those modern bus-stops with a thick yellow line and raised kerb for easier stepping onto and off a bus. I may not park outside. But that's alright with me because it also means that no-one else can, which significantly reduces the risk of my driveway being blocked. A definite silver lining.

Of course, that's not the only type of parking restriction. I'm half a mile from the village centre and down there, some dwellings have double yellow lines right outside. Some people live along main roads with a double or single yellow line down each side for miles. Some people live in the West End of London!

IOW, there's no innate "right" to park outside one's home.

But consider a family with two off-street spaces and five vehicles, "needing" to use three spaces on the street. What about their neighbours? What about visitors? What about the need for access for service vehicles of all sorts? What if a few more families in the street were in the same sort of position? How to resolve something like that?

If you had eight children (as, indeed, some people do), would you expect to be able to garage six cars on the street without demur from others who are disadvantaged by it?

"That's different", you might say.

But it isn't different in principle.

What if the local authority decided to create a Residents' Parking scheme in your street? There is no way you would get five - or even three - permanent permits and use them in addition to two garaging spaces of your own.

People move for all sorts of reasons.

Had I ever owned a property without adequate parking/garaging facilities (a bit like where I was brought up), I'd have moved for that very reason as well as the reasons I did have.

Reply to
JNugent

[ ... ]

I've heard that too, though I can't vouch for its veracity.

I've heard the same of Singapore.

Reply to
JNugent

And quite right too, especially, but not limited to, poerty built in terraces with little possibility of off-street garaging space.

It is not necessary to justify non-use or non-preference for public transport. Most people are to some extant averse to it but some don't have a choice.

Reply to
JNugent

Planning guidance was changed by John Prescott in order to specify an (inadequate) maximum amount of parking spaces rather than the (higher) minimum previously mandated.

Reply to
JNugent

They've never heard of attachments?

Reply to
Max Demian

Of course there is, unless there are overwhelming reasons why it's banned.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Why? Do you own the bit of road outside your house?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

2021 insurance: £311.00 2021 servicing: £49.71 2021 MOT: £45.00 Total £405.71

2021 VED: £490.00

VED cost me nearly £85 more than insuring, servicing and MOTing.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Just checked.

My van is about 1.8 times the length of Lou's car.

My car is about 1.5 times the length of Lou's car.

Should it cost me more to drive my vehicles on the road or pay for parking?

Reply to
ARW

No.

None at all.

And if there are yellow lines there, all that it means is that no-one can park there, resident or otherwise.

Even without yellow lines, if Citizen X comes home one night and the whole street is parked up nose to tail, he'll have to go and look for a space elsewhere.

The only space in which he has an absolute right to park is a space on one's own property or one which has been reserved for special use (almost always because of disability) with marked out carriageway markings and signage - if one has the necessary authority.

Even Residents' Parking Schemes don't guarantee a space, because they usually can't. And anyway, for some of the time, they don't apply, meaning that anyone - a visitor for instance - may park there.

Reply to
JNugent

It probably does cost you more to use your van, by way of Road Tax, greater fuel consumption and the taxes on that, plus maybe other things.

Whether it should cost you more is a bit cosmic for this time of night.

Reply to
JNugent

By that logic we wouldn't be allowed to drive on any public road because we don't own it.

we wouldn't be allowed to sit down in a pub because we don't own the chairs.

we wouldn't be allowed to climb onto the couch of a radiotherapy machine because we don't own it.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Well, your particular vehicle is obviously not that of the average driver. If you drive such a vehicle, cost of anything should be of very little significance.

Reply to
Richard

You?re confused. Now you?re talking about what you?re ?allowed? to do. Before you were talking about ?rights?. Very different things.

You are *allowed* to drive your car on public road by virtue of having successfully jumped through a number of hoops. It is not a right though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

sucker

Reply to
Just Jim Dandy

yip more money than sense these pcb HP drip people

Reply to
Just Jim Dandy