Paving over existing paving

We have a 30 sq metre terrace that for the last 30 years has been paved with 600 x 600 x 50 pink and grey concrete slabs. The area is going to have facelift this summer and we are thinking about a new surface of Bradstone textured slabs.

The question is should we lay them over the existing slabs, which are stable and reasonably level or is it really necessary to lift them? I appreciate the need for the new slabs to stay below the dpc and air bricks.

If it is OK will a bed of sharp sand suffice or is mortar necessary under these circumstances?

Reply to
robert

I did this last year for someone. I didnt really want to do it, but he insisted that they were done that way to save the time/expense of removing the old ones. I laid the new ones on a 1 inch bed of dry sharp sand/cement mix, probably a 6 or 8 to 1 mixture. I was round his house last week, and they still look good, so it must have worked. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee