Part P, making a difference....NOT...

I'm puzzled, why would one want fensa certificates? Houses are always sold as seen, no?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

No - it's become nearer to 'sold as described'. If the purchaser asks a question during the contract period (may have to be in writing) you are required to answer that question truthfully (or not at all). Replying inaccurately could allow the purchaser to go to court after purchase and claim damages or even force you to buy the house back off of them.

Reply to
Mike

To 'confirm' that the legally-required thermal standard has been met.

Reply to
Joe

I guess I hadnt thought that the buyer might get hauled over the coals about a non thermal standard window later in the houses history, but I suppose its poss in relatively new houses. Guess I'm more familiar with Victorian than modern houses, the era of 'thermal whats?'.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

When I sold my house in 2000, one of the solicitors questions (sellers report ?) was, "Have you had double glazing fitted since 199x (can't remember exact date) ?" "If yes the please supply copy of Fensa document".

Also as the buyers survey also identified the date of glazing installation (from date inside sealed panes) we were also requested by the buyer solicitors to supply the Fensa document.

One assumes similar questions will now be asked about Part P.

Reply to
Ian_m

That didn't start until April 2002. It was no accident I had my windows replaced in February 2002, it saved me a lot of money which I put into worthwhile energy saving measures rather than Pilkington K glass.

For about a year after Part L, solicitors seemed to be asking about it. None of the people I know who've moved recently have been asked, although that's not a large enough sample size for me to claim this is a general trend. The questions they were asked were specifically if they'd done any structural changes or changes to underground drainage, IIRC.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Probably. The buyers solicitor is looking for any excuse that might possibly result in a reduced sale price, primarily because if they dont, something could come back and bite them on the rear, even when their fees would outweight any effect on house value that the item might have. Secondly they do it because it creates them more work that they can justify charging for.

The simple antidote to such game is to not answer the questions. If I want to know about a house its upto me to survey it, search, and find out. This is far more sensible than asking the seller, foolishly relying on their answers, then paying a solicitor later for a case you might or might not win, and even if you do it was unlikely to be worth paying the legal fees for. The only person that benefits from such failure to take responsibility is the solicitors. Going in with your eyes open and spending the time and money on fixing any problems is much better sense.

The only case where it is worth pursuing is something serious and major, and those things any sensible person would check out before buying. If they dont, they know theyre taking a risk.

NT

Reply to
bigcat