"Part P in force by 2004"

I don't think it would be wise to underestimate the ability of forensic science to determine whether something was tampered with. If life was lost due to a fire then an inquiry would take place, and neighbours (etc) are all too willing to make themselves noteworthy to the police about fingering possible culprits.

YMMV, but my attitude is that I wouldn't take chances on this sort of thing.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Does this apply to other insurance? Is car insurance invalid because of a safety critical fault?

I would suggest that in many cases careful and thoughtful amateur work will be to a higher standard than that provided by some rushed professionals. Hence there is less chance of loss of life. This is more important than insurance considerations.

James

Reply to
James

I noticed that some of the twin and earth I have been using has the year stamped on the insulation every meter or so with raised numbering, ie.it's part of the insulation not printed in ink.I don't know what the purpose of this is but it will certainly make it difficult to claim that the wiring was installed before the year stamped on the cable.

I don't recall where I bought the reel, either Wickes or TLC. Maybe this will be a requirement for all cable manufacturers?

Adrian.

Reply to
Adrian M.

Same here with Pirelli cable bought from Screwfix - though oddly only on the 1mmsq. The 2.5 doesn't seem to have a year, though it does have other information. Nothing at all on the 10mm, and I don't have the 6mm to hand to check :-)

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

"Adrian M." wrote | I noticed that some of the twin and earth I have been using has | the year stamped on the insulation every meter or so with raised | numbering, ie.it's part of the insulation not printed in ink.I | don't know what the purpose of this is but it will certainly make | it difficult to claim that the wiring was installed before the | year stamped on the cable. | I don't recall where I bought the reel, either Wickes or TLC. | Maybe this will be a requirement for all cable manufacturers?

I don't want to panic anyone, but the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister is wanting to bring this scheme in for APPLIANCES. So you will need a NICEIC electrician to plug in your table lamps. Or perhaps Sarah Wooller of the In House Policy Consultancy is lacking some understanding in the subject. (My emphasis below)

> Building Regulations > Competent persons self-certification schemes under the Building Regulations > Existing competent person schemes

Conclusion and Main Recommendations ... It is likely to be worth extending the self-certification schemes to a limited number of areas of the Building Regulations. ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES is likely to be a good candidate as are other areas where work is common, internal to the house, often undertaken as discrete projects, and where companies have an incentive for joining the scheme.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I don't doubt for a minute that many amateur installations will be as good as a professional job. However even though a professional might rush a job his experience of doing many similar jobs is likely to compensate, and invariably his job, rushed or otherwise, will pass muster.

The thing is that if a jury had to reach a conclusion then the amateur would be laying everything on the line. His home, other possessions, everything. That's because he's taken on a job which conceivably he should not have done because he doesn't have the background and training.

PoP

Reply to
PoP