Paperback book glue.

If some pages fall out, I find it sometimes works to run the inside edge of the page(s) through a blob of PVA or gum, insert into original position. Close book and leave overnight under a heavy weight.

Reply to
Oliver

The problem with that solution I find, is that if you open the book sufficiently wide to insert a page without touching the pages on the side on the way in, then you're probably inflicting even further damage on the book.

Whereas even the slightest smigeon of PVA tranferred onto either of the adjacent pages will leave you with pages stuck together.

That's the trouble with PVA in such situations - when its supposed to work by permanently holding the pages of a book together it sometimes fails. Whereas when you definitely don't want it to work - such that a microscopic amount won't stick two adjacent pages together, it most definitely will.

michael adams ...

Reply to
michael adams

I agree with you - I did write "sometimes". Depends on the original binding, how tight etc. I have have some good successes as well as failures - at least it's better than idiots who use sellotape on loose pages.

My worst experience ever was with a class set of new Penguin War of the Worlds. Pages falling out all over the classroom. Other Penguins were much more robust. I've never analysed what the differences were in binding methods, but the results were dramatically different.

Reply to
Oliver

A waste paper basket does the same, or putting them in the pub library where they can be swapped for another. I got fed up with returning to reread a book after 5 years or so and finding old pages that had yellowed and just felt tatty. If it is good enough to reread then obtaining a newer copy that hasn?t deteriorated isn?t usually that difficult.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Kindle stopped me replacing one set of read and dumped books with another.

Reply to
Martin