Panasonic Batteries

I guess most manufacturers get a few "dogs" onto the market from time to time - not necessarily a generic manufacturing problem - maybe a mis- reading of the customer's requirements when selecting software features. Certainly one shouldn't damn a whole brand when products now are made in so many different plants around the world.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Panasonic used to be really good stuff many years ago. But I bought one of their ansaphones 18 months ago and it's total s**te. Virtually unusable, in fact. Rotten audio quality and a hopeless menu system that is just the pits.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Tell 'em about my ansaphone while you're at it. Hopeless PoS!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I guess that the UK represents a very small proportion of the output of these companies. The importers / concessionaires make decisions on which products we should be offered in the UK and which need adapting to our systems and this is where mistakes creep in. Same with cars. Remember the original Renault Clio - never imported here - yet very popular on the continent. The Importing Agents wouldn't take the risk of a RHD development of it. We also get features on some cars such as remote locking and alarms - other countries get cruise control. Decisions made by the agents.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I won't touch Sony, either. Not after that root kit scandal and the digital rights debacle. Outrageous!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I bought two Kodak 'D' size cells off ebay. One went ***phut*** within seconds of switch on; internal short judging by the heat it was giving off on removal. I'm wondering if these cells were fakes. There was a time when Kodak batteries were among the best around (some 10 years ago) and certainly way better than Duracell back then, but it seems recognised brand names in general are no longer a reliable indicator of quality. :-(

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

They probably aren't manufacturers anymore. The whole thing is a branding exercise. The marketing person deciding to buy from the manufacturer is only concerned that it looks right. The customer is expected to do the testing.

Reply to
Capitol

It's Panasonic. I ain't buying it.

Reply to
Huge

I think that's *exactly* what one should do.

Reply to
Huge

Yes, it was.

I think you might be thinking of the original Twingo.

Reply to
Adrian

Why do you believe Panasonic is a "quality" label.

A company may have had a good reputation of designing one or two products but when it starts branding unrelated products it just means that the brand name has been sold on, usually to badge products that may otherwise not sell in the same numbers.

The Panasonic batteries that I've used have been no worse, no better, than any other known brand but I no longer buy fakes batteries from from pound shops.

My favoured batteries these days are Duracell ProCell.

alan

All the designers were ex-Sony

Reply to
alan

You have it the wrong way around. Occasionally the brand gets is right and produces something that is well ahead of the competitors. With this one product it then has a springboard for releasing junk for the next couple of years.

Reply to
alan

Kodak never made batteries - they just sold their brand to badge products when the demand for film fell through the floor and people started using digital cameras.

Reply to
alan

Adrian wrote in news:ldn7jr$5k4$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

Sorry - yes the Twingo

Reply to
DerbyBorn

alan wrote in news:52ff3661$0$1409$5b6aafb4 @news.zen.co.uk:

I overheard a couple of people in Asda looking at a TV with "Polaroid" badge on it. They were commenting that they made good cameras (??) so the TV should be okay!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Depends on the purchaser, expectations and the model bought.

Sony are technically brilliant but not so great for catering for people that have been needlessly upsold [1] on the name or fashion statement. Silly money gets involved and a waste of resources happens.

Is there a 'claims management company' to get these people their money back? :-p

[1] as it was listed by 'Which' or plugged by PR experts in some other magazine hot list, or worse recommended by someone else who read these magazines and imagined they were buying the item for themselves. Geeks :-(
Reply to
Adrian C

+1. In bulk when on special offer from CPC!
Reply to
Bob Eager

I've had problems with CPC when ordering their batteries on special offer (2 for the price of 1). On the last two occasions I've only received half the amount ordered. I now buy from a couple of previously used Ebay suppliers who have fresh stock (dated 2019+).

Reply to
alan

Which supplier, please?

Reply to