painting and sanding

All, Yet another post for advice one decorating my flat..! Is it essential to sand down and re-prime door frames before repainting them ?? I'll be doing them in a very similar colour to what they are now.

Reply to
NC

No. I just wash my paintwork down with sugar soap to get any grease etc off (especially in the kitchen) lightly sand for a key and then gloss. If there are chips in the original top coat you'll need to deal with these first tho'. You'll need the primer here.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Thanks for the advice - am I best buying sugar soap from a local shed, or can I make it with.. erm.. sugar and soap (spot the beginner..!!) ?? The paintwork / woodwork is in good nick as its only a few years old - just the wrong colour !

Reply to
NC

If you are painting, say, an eggshell finish over an existing gloss finish, you're best to lightly sand, and the use an undercoat first. This will give the best finish.

Does anyone know any good "how to paint" websites? I googled, but get loads of hits about paintshop pro, and painting paintings, not walls!

Reply to
Ben Blaney

No, sugar soap has nothing to do with sugar. Washing powder etc are effective too, but need to be rinsed off thoroughly. The plus with sugar soap is that remaining traces wont muck about with the paint.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

No, but it will look good if you do. We've all seen old Victorian houses with so many layers of paint, it has almost closed up the hole intended for the door.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yep. Buy it concentrated or in powder. You get seriously fleeced for readymixed.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle